Chess Traps Nobody Wants To Play

Only Chess

greenpawn34

e4

Moves
Clock
02 May 19
1 edit

Hello Again,a nice wee mate in two with RHP games supplying the clues.

Gelfand and Anand blundering in similar positions in different games.

A book cover that must be one of the worst mistakes in publishing history.

A trap/trick no RHP player has fallen into and another just waiting to be sprung.

Blog Post 421

Paul Leggett
Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
Clock
12 May 19
Vote Up
Vote Down

@greenpawn34

I added that one trap at the end to the game Kieseristsky-Laigle 1843 in my master database- the analysis is an improvement over the game, which white won. Here is the original game for those interested (I can't get the added line in to work with the pgn viewer):

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
Clock
13 May 19
Vote Up
Vote Down

@Paul-Leggett
11. ... Bb4+ looks like an improvement for black, who just sort of handed over all his pieces from then on. So I don't think 11. Nc7 is playable. White needs 11. a3 or 11. Nf3 to stop the bishop check and give up the knight. It looks like white's trying a bit too hard to hold onto the knight on a8 and it doesn't really work. I think he should play 9. Nf3 rather than 9. cxd5 as the a8 knight can't be held anyway and black will use up a few tempi trying to take it.

CM

Moves
Clock
16 May 19
Vote Up
Vote Down

Executioner Brand
Grass Farmer

Moves
Clock
23 May 19
Vote Up
Vote Down

@deepthought said
@Paul-Leggett
11. ... Bb4+ looks like an improvement for black, who just sort of handed over all his pieces from then on. So I don't think 11. Nc7 is playable. White needs 11. a3 or 11. Nf3 to stop the bishop check and give up the knight. It looks like white's trying a bit too hard to hold onto the knight on a8 and it doesn't really work. I think he should play 9. Nf ...[text shortened]... n 9. cxd5 as the a8 knight can't be held anyway and black will use up a few tempi trying to take it.
yes

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.