That Andres Serrano photograph

That Andres Serrano photograph

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
15 Jan 22

"Piss Christ" [1987]

To your way of thinking, what perspective or criticism was the controversial photo propagating?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Jan 22

@fmf said
"Piss Christ" [1987]

To your way of thinking, what perspective or criticism was the controversial photo propagating?
I know what the artist has said about the work, I'm just interested to see how many Christians here get it right.

F

Moves
15 Jan 22

@suzianne said
I know what the artist has said about the work, I'm just interested to see how many Christians here get it right.
It would be fun if people did not look it up.

It would have been nice if Serrano had not demystified it by explaining himself.

Art should, to some extent, belong to the beholder once the artist has handed it over.

I remember reading about it [along with the political ruckus] 34 years ago but I can't remember what the photographer said exactly.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Jan 22

@fmf said
It would be fun if people did not look it up.

It would have been nice if Serrano had not demystified it by explaining himself.

Art should, to some extent, belong to the beholder once the artist has handed it over.

I remember reading about it [along with the political ruckus] 34 years ago but I can't remember what the photographer said exactly.
I was 10 or 11 at the time it came out. I didn't care about it if I did see it then, and when the story and its controversy became interesting to me in college, I went to the university library and looked up publications talking about it at the time.

He was charged in the media as a blasphemer, and he felt that he should clear that up. This is why he granted interviews about it.

I won't say any more in order hear the knee-jerk responses similar to my first reaction when it was brought up in discussion in one of my classes.

My initial post about this was just to let you know that I'd be interested to see the response to this.

F

Moves
15 Jan 22

@suzianne said
My initial post about this was just to let you know that I'd be interested to see the response to this.
Yes, it would be interesting.

F

Moves
21 Jan 22

Piss Christ @ RHP Thread 191894

F

Moves
21 Jan 22

More Piss Christ @ RHP Thread 191892

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jan 22

@FMF

It’s funny how you set yourself up as the arbiter of what honors and dishonors Jesus Christ when you abandoned the faith and bragged like an imbecile about how you stood strong in your atheism during a crisis and refused to pray to Jesus.

Then you went even further in your ridiculous OP and claimed you were like an atheist in a foxhole, but, by golly, with all those imaginary bullets flying around you and your life hanging in the balance, you told Jesus to take a hike and strutted out of the hospital.

Our hero! 😂

F

Moves
21 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
It’s funny how you set yourself up as the arbiter of what honors and dishonors Jesus Christ when you abandoned the faith and bragged like an imbecile about how you stood strong in your atheism during a crisis and refused to pray to Jesus.
Why are you bringing up, again, what I went through when my wife nearly died? You said you were not going to bring it up again. I didn't say I "stood strong" or that I "refused to pray to Jesus". You are trolling and your mischaracterization is nothing more than malicious spin on what I revealed in my story. What my wife and I experienced is personal information.

F

Moves
21 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Then you went even further in your ridiculous OP and claimed you were like an atheist in a foxhole, but, by golly, with all those imaginary bullets flying around you and your life hanging in the balance, you told Jesus to take a hike and strutted out of the hospital.
Why are you trolling me about what my wife and I went through?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jan 22

@FMF

I’m not trolling you at all and never mentioned your wife.

I mentioned what you said in your OP and how you presented yourself in your OP - as this heroic atheist who stood strong in his atheism despite being in a metaphorical foxhole and how you proved, by golly, that atheists *do* exist in foxholes.

Here’s just a sampling of what you said:

“What a momentous thing ~ what a game-changer ~ it would have been, in light of all the views I have espoused and propagated sincerely here on this forum over the last decade or so, if I had prayed that night.”

So self-absorbed and ridiculous.

And if you and dive want to dish it out, you oughta be prepared to take it. I don’t take bullies lightly.

Just be thankful the two of you trolls don’t run into me in real life 😉

F

Moves
21 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
I’m not trolling you at all and never mentioned your wife.
You are talking about the crisis my wife and I went through. You are trolling us. And it's malicious. Please desist.

F

Moves
21 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Just be thankful the two of you trolls don’t run into me in real life
Huh?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jan 22

F

Moves
21 Jan 22

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Please stop trolling about my wife nearly dying.