1. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 17:42
    in personal info page, declaring whether or not a player uses books and/or databases.

I realise it is perfectly legal but it might help some choose opponents - particularly lower-rated players, where books and databases are a decided advantage.
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 13:38
    Who cares!?
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 14:09
    Originally posted by dottewell
    in personal info page, declaring whether or not a player uses books and/or databases.

I realise it is perfectly legal but it might help some choose opponents - particularly lower-rated players, where books and databases are a decided advantage.
    We should have an option so people can indicate that they don't capture en passant.

And another for those that don't castle.
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 16:50
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    We should have an option so people can indicate that they don't capture en passant.

And another for those that don't castle.
    That's an uncharacteristically silly response.

It's a fact that some people would prefer not to play those who use books and databases - or at least know if they do.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 00:08
    That's an uncharacteristically silly response.

It's a fact that some people would prefer not to play those who use books and databases - or at least know if they do.
    Uncharacteristically silly? You proposed a stupid idea, I made fun of it. Nothing uncharacteristic about that, I do it all the time.

If you don't want books and databases to be allowed then go play somewhere else. Here they are allowed and if you want to maximize your potential you'd do well to use them.
  6. Earth Prime
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 03:26

I only use a database once in a great while, but to say I don't use it would be a lie.

what to do?
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 06:041 edit
    Uncharacteristically silly? You proposed a stupid idea, I made fun of it. Nothing uncharacteristic about that, I do it all the time.

If you don't want books and databases to be allowed then go play somewhere else. Here they are allowed and if you want to maximize your potential you'd do well to use them.
    Whether you like it or not a good number of people would like to know what there opponents are using in the way of "outside assistance". Which is hardly the case with en passant capture and castling.

I have no problem with people using books or databases. I only suggested it might be useful if players were aware what they were up against.

Your posts normally address the point, at least. Hence - uncharacteristically silly.
  8. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 06:24
    I'd rather not worry about those reading books and be more concerned about those using engines.
  9. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 10:481 edit
    Originally posted by KJCavalier
    I'd rather not worry about those reading books and be more concerned about those using engines.
    I largely agree - although a mandatory "I cheat" box might not catch out the more cunning engine user...
  10. Connecticut
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 12:47
    Just become better than the books. 😉
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 05:35
    Whether you like it or not a good number of people would like to know what there opponents are using in the way of "outside assistance". Which is hardly the case with en passant capture and castling.

I have no problem with people using books or databases. I only suggested it might be useful if players were aware what they were up against.

Your posts normally address the point, at least. Hence - uncharacteristically silly.
    I'll say it again. Books and database use is allowed under the site rules. It is best to assume that your opponents are using them unless you know otherwise.

'Outside assistance' is a misnomer as far as I am concerned. It doesn't tell you what move to play unlike an engine which is how the distinction is made. Following a database or book line mindlessly will land you with more problems than it solves.
  12. West Virginia
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 05:381 edit

Just curious, but is there any correspondence chess site or organization that prohibits the use of chess books or databases? I personally do not know of any, does anyone else?
  13. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 05:43
    Originally posted by Drax946
    Just curious, but is there any correspondence chess site or organization that prohibits the use of chess books or databases? I personally do not know of any, does anyone else?
    Ever since correspondance chess was played via letters sent on coaches books and other resources have been allowed.
  14. West Virginia
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 20:06
    Ever since correspondance chess was played via letters sent on coaches books and other resources have been allowed.
    Thanks!! That's exactly what I thought, but I'm very glad for the confirmation!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree