1. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 02:22
    They have a single download of all those games in one DB. Many of them are computer engines against other computer engines.. there are some others too, but not sure what they were .. (140K is quite a few to try to go through!)

http://www.chess-database.com/Downloads/downloads.html

Anything else out there with a few thousand games that are good to download? I was using chessgames.com, but, I don't like how you can't search for the moves like you can in the keys in Chessbase Light.
  2. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 11:19
    Originally posted by MIODude
    They have a single download of all those games in one DB. Many of them are computer engines against other computer engines.. there are some others too, but not sure what they were .. (140K is quite a few to try to go through!)

http://www.chess-database.com/Downloads/downloads.html

Anything else out there with a few thousand games that are good to down ...[text shortened]... , I don't like how you can't search for the moves like you can in the keys in Chessbase Light.
    would this not pose a problem for a player making use of it? Every move would be a computer move, and look like it, thus being difficult to distinguish from one freshly generated by a computer?
  3. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 11:34
    Originally posted by pineapple42
    would this not pose a problem for a player making use of it? Every move would be a computer move, and look like it, thus being difficult to distinguish from one freshly generated by a computer?
    Good point!

Something to consider by the game mods?
  4. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 11:44
    if so, then the ToS would need to be updated

btw - it has to be chessbase, not light.. light has a 8000 limit I believe.. mine isn't the light version.
  5. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 14:20
    I sent feedback asking, just incase.
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 18:44
    http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html

Every issue comes with the latest weeks tournaments and games from the top players. Put all of the past issues together and you have half a million top class recently played games.

There's no problem with using databases no matter the source.
  7. Zwolle
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 20:58
    Try this link: http://www.chessgameslinks.lars-balzer.info/

Might proof usefull.

--SEVES
  8. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 21:57
    No, because all database moves are ignored by the game mods.
  9. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 22:10
    Received confirmation from Chris (using feedback option) that since its a database its fine.. its when you use a computer program to select what the next move is from your current position..
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 22:11
    Originally posted by ark13
    No, because all database moves are ignored by the game mods.
    This issue is not as simple as that...

The game mods have actually already discussed/been discussing this.

One of us will post an "official" response here in the near future.

--tmetzler
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 22:13
    Received confirmation from Chris (using feedback option) that since its a database its fine.. its when you use a computer program to select what the next move is from your current position..
    Seems chris hasn't been reading up on the game mod discussion.

One of us will put up a more detailed response soon though.

--tmetzler
  12. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 22:22
    Can I just rename all the opponents names to that of the seven dwarfs? 😀
  13. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 22:30
    Actually, tmetzler, this would open a whole can of worms.. 'cause.. what would the difference between this, and me using my db of games that have been analyzed with Fritz after the fact.. In the analysis, it would say I should have done something else, so.. my next game, I would do that something else.
  14. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    08 Sep '05 22:331 edit
    Actually, tmetzler, this would open a whole can of worms.. 'cause.. what would the difference between this, and me using my db of games that have been analyzed with Fritz after the fact.. In the analysis, it would say I should have done something else, so.. my next game, I would do that something else.
    That's why I said it wasn't that simple. 🙂

An official response will be coming in the next few days...

--tmetzler
  15. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    09 Sep '05 07:11
    well, that would be using fritz/junior/whatever to choose you next move... or could it be classed as preparation? Would it be ligitimate to take my past games, analyse them all, find my blunders, and next time play the improved move (which, quite naturally was generated by an engine, and i've placed in the notes against my past game)?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree