1. Joined
    12 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '05 19:32
    Maybe you've heard this before, but its a good one. It confused the crap out of me for a while.

3 guys are sharing a hotel room that costs $30, so they each pay $10. Later on, the hotel manager lowers the rate to $25 for a room, so he sends a bellboy to give them the $5 refund. On the way, the bellboy is wondering how they're going to split $5 three ways, so he decides to keep $2 for himself, and only returns $3. Thus the 3 guys have paid $27 for the room, and the bellboy took $2 which adds up to $29. What happened to the extra dollar?
  2. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '05 19:43
    Originally posted by perihelion
    Maybe you've heard this before, but its a good one. It confused the crap out of me for a while.

3 guys are sharing a hotel room that costs $30, so they each pay $10. Later on, the hotel manager lowers the rate to $25 for a room, so he sends a bellboy to give them the $5 refund. On the way, the bellboy is wondering how they're going to split $5 three ...[text shortened]... 7 for the room, and the bellboy took $2 which adds up to $29. What happened to the extra dollar?
    Bad addition does not constitute a puzzle.
  3. Joined
    01 May '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '05 20:091 edit

3 guys are sharing a hotel room that costs $30, so they each pay $10. Later on, the hotel manager lowers the rate to $25 for a room, so he sends a bellboy to give them the $5 refund. On the way, the bellboy is wondering how they're going to split $5 three ...[text shortened]... 7 for the room, and the bellboy took $2 which adds up to $29. What happened to the extra dollar?
    The 2 that the bellboy returned are accounted in the $27. Therefore, there are $25 with the owner and $2 with the bellboy. The other $3 have actually been returned.
  4. Joined
    12 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '05 20:25
    Originally posted by Pullhard
    Bad addition does not constitute a puzzle.
    Bad addition. does not constitute an answer

see i can be a smartass too 😀
  5. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '05 20:52
    Bad addition. does not constitute an answer

see i can be a smartass too 😀
    Yes, but my smartass comment made sense.
  6. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    10 Oct '05 00:48
    Ancient puzzle.

Try it with the £ and see if you get the same answer.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Oct '05 06:18
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Ancient puzzle.

Try it with the £ and see if you get the same answer.
    Ok, now that's truly stupid... the currency could be dollars, pounds, euro, lira, rubles, yen or even rocks, for god's sake...
  8. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    10 Oct '05 16:34
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Ok, now that's truly stupid... the currency could be dollars, pounds, euro, lira, rubles, yen or even rocks, for god's sake...
    I've concluded, after much thought on the matter, that you are without a sense of humour. Remarkable!
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Oct '05 22:25
    I've concluded, after much thought on the matter, that you are without a sense of humour. Remarkable!
    Why, when confronted with an error, do you always play the 'no sense of humor' card?

Saying 'Ancient puzzle' at the front of your post seems to imply that you are already decrying the question of it's simplicity, in an offhand, dismissive way.

This is no different from 99% of your posts, so where's the signpost for humor?
  10. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    10 Oct '05 23:201 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Why, when confronted with an error, do you always play the 'no sense of humor' card?

Saying 'Ancient puzzle' at the front of your post seems to imply that you are already decrying the question of it's simplicity...

This is no different from 99% of your posts, so where's the signpost for humor?
    1) I don't believe I've ever mentioned it before.

2) I don't see how it could.

3) Pointing away from "Sulk City" 😵

And why the apostrophe in your second line?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Oct '05 14:02
    Because I'm human and I made a mistake!! Ok?

And please don't belabor the point any further by quoting the "apostrophe rules" to me. I know how to use them; I simply made an honest mistake.

At least I can admit mine.
  12. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 20:55
    1) I don't believe I've ever mentioned it before.

2) I don't see how it could.

3) Pointing away from "Sulk City" 😵

Where is the period in your third sentence?
  13. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 21:011 edit
    Originally posted by abejnood
    Where is the period in your third sentence?
    If you mean the full stop, it's where you'd expect it to be. Though around 200 times the usual size 😛
  14. Earth Prime
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 21:09
    If you mean the full stop, it's where you'd expect it to be. Though around 200 times the usual size 😛
    so a smiley counts as a full stop?
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 May '06 13:33
    the amount owing is $25, not $30. so you do not add $2 to $27 to get $29, you take it away from $27 to make the $25 that is owed, because it is taken out of the equation by the bell boy

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree