1. DIRTY DIRTY SOUTH LA
    Moves
    10 Jan '03 01:57
    play in lost positons! Once i had a queen, 2 rooks, 5 pawns, a bishop and a knight against someone who had less than 15 material points... It takes up a lot of time, and I cannot join new games when that happens... So, if you are one of those people, please resign in a totally lost position...

I do not mean to insult or disrespect anyone in this post.
  2. Steelers Country
    Moves
    10 Jan '03 02:31
    Originally posted by VGlorioso89
    play in lost positons! Once i had a queen, 2 rooks, 5 pawns, a bishop and a knight against someone who had less than 15 material points... It takes up a lot of time, and I cannot join new games when that happens... So, if you are one of those people, please resign in a totally lost position...

If you become a pawn star you wont have that problem

-Adam
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    10 Jan '03 03:35
    This is something that comes up from time to time and tends to open up the same can of worms each time.

I agree that it can be deeply frustrating at times, but it is the player's right to play on until he or she has been checkmated. Consider that it is possible your opponent may be trying to learn from you and how you close out a game. Even a simple mating pattern with say a rook on the 7th rank and a rook on the 8th may be new and unseen before by someone.

Most of the people who are down considerably in material against me (I'm not miles ahead tooooo often I must admit!) either resign or ask to play on a few more moves because they may learn something.

Some though may well play on from outright pig-headed stubborness. That is their right though. Others may be looking for a stalemate.

Whatever the reason or case may be, the fact remains that once a star has been attained, one can start as many games as one wishes 🙂

Mark
  4. Standard memberhayz
    King of ... Stuff
    Canada
    Moves
    10 Jan '03 14:37
    So, if you are one of those people, please resign in a totally lost position...
    My suggestion is to practice your end-game and mate him! :-)
    Don't be afraid to sacrifice material to do it, after all, that's what your advantage is for. When you have a checkmate, there is no cost too high.
  5. Joined
    04 Nov '02
    Moves
    10 Jan '03 15:491 edit
    Originally posted by hayz
    My suggestion is to practice your end-game and mate him! :-)
    Don't be afraid to sacrifice material to do it, after all, that's what your advantage is for. When you have a checkmate, there is no cost too high.
    you can make finding the strongest move in a clearly won position a personal challenge. we often are very lazy in these "clearly won games," but applying oneself in finding the very best move or idea can be instructive and satisfying.

😳

SNL
  6. Joined
    17 Dec '02
    Moves
    12 Jan '03 20:15
    I was recently waaay ahead (materially) in a real-life game. I got maybe a lil' cocky, definitely rushed. You know what? I lost the game, even though I was up by 15 points or more. I missed one move, and he was able to keep me in check until the eventual mate. Two things to learn here: 1) You're not beaten until it's checkmate, and 2) When you're ahead in material, you still have to keep your eyes open and don't rush. I'll never let that happen again.
  7. Ireland
    Moves
    12 Jan '03 23:54
    I joined this site in november and in one of my very first games my opponent asked me if i was ready to resign. I was like, huh?? We were even in point sbut he had a slightly better position. This little comment convinced me to ignore all my other games and concentrate on kicking this guys ass.

also, in another game my opponent resigned on me for no reason - we were even and although i was about to go a pawn ahead he was convinced he was going to lose his queen. (i didnt ask him to resign)

Generally I will resign if I dont see any little traps left that I can set for my opponent.

cheers
    con
  8. Steelers Country
    Moves
    13 Jan '03 00:55
    Originally posted by rossroe
    I joined this site in november and in one of my very first games my opponent asked me if i was ready to resign. I was like, huh?? We were even in point sbut he had a slightly better position. This little comment convinced me to ignore all my other games and concentrate on kicking this guys ass.

also, in another game my opponent resigned on me for no reas ...[text shortened]... I will resign if I dont see any little traps left that I can set for my opponent.

cheers
    con
    I know what you mean....one guy told me to resign on his first move
    I'm not that good of a player but I wont resign untill i know im dead
    or sometimes i'll play to the bitter end
  9. DonationXenophile
    The Jonster
    K-PAX
    Moves
    13 Jan '03 02:521 edit
    play in lost positons! Once i had a queen, 2 rooks, 5 pawns, a bishop and a knight against someone who had less than 15 material points... It takes up a lot of time, and I cannot join new games when that happens... So, if you are one of ...[text shortened]... ...

This may have been our game, although I had nineteen material points before losing my rook and resigning. If it was, sorry for wasing your time.
  10. DIRTY DIRTY SOUTH LA
    Moves
    14 Jan '03 00:56
    its ok... its just there was a game against a high rated player open, and i wanted to take it....
  11. Standard memberhayz
    King of ... Stuff
    Canada
    Moves
    14 Jan '03 20:17
    Then buy a pawn star. It's not expensive, then we don't have to listen to you complain. ;-D

Besides, if you were a really strong player people wouldn't be playing the games through to the end with the hope of drawing. 😉

Support the site, it's a reasonable price.
  12. Joined
    27 Nov '02
    Moves
    15 Jan '03 01:47
    Originally posted by snl
    you can make finding the strongest move in a clearly won position a personal challenge. we often are very lazy in these "clearly won games," but applying oneself in finding the very best move or idea can be instructive and satisfying.
    Very true for me... it's like I coast once the hard work is over!

Rather than a frustration, I find the winding down of a game fun (when I'm winning, that is).

It's so much easier to just leisurely trade down or mop up the remains (maybe queen a pawn or two) and THEN get to work on checkmate.

My new year's resolution is to look for the quickest checkmate possible!
  13. Ireland
    Moves
    16 Jan '03 22:14
    RE: Very true for me... it's like I coast once the hard work is over!

I usually arrange it sothat im winning more games then losing - that way when im losing badly in one game(or 3) i can jump into the game where i am a rook, a knight and three queens ahead - this usually builds my confidence and i sometimes get a new perspective on the game(s) im losing!😕
  14. Standard memberhayz
    King of ... Stuff
    Canada
    Moves
    17 Jan '03 06:03
    Originally posted by jhegener
    Very true for me... it's like I coast once the hard work is over!

Rather than a frustration, I find the winding down of a game fun (when I'm winning, that is).

It's so much easier to just leisurely trade down or mop up the remains (maybe queen a pawn or two) and THEN get to work on checkmate.

My new year's resolution is to look for the quickest checkmate possible!
    Remember this, the game of chess does not "wind down". If you wind down before you say "checkmate", you're giving your opponent a chance to win. When you are relaxing with your strong material advantage your opponent is concentrating harder than ever; Like a cornered cat he sees deeper, notices more tactics, and searches the board relentlessly for your weaknesses you've gleefully overlooked.

Give him the chance and he'll mate you while you're "mopping up".

Never relax: the game is not over until someone says "checkmate".
    (Don't get technical on me, you get my drift, hehe)
  15. Standard memberMontagues
    Sad Smile
    Going,Going . .Gone
    Moves
    17 Jan '03 08:34
    Originally posted by T1000
    This is something that comes up from time to time and tends to open up the same can of worms each time.

I agree that it can be deeply frustrating at times, but it is the player's right to play on until he or she has been checkmated. Consider that it is possible your opponent may be trying to learn from you and how you close out a game. Even a simple mating ...[text shortened]... remains that once a star has been attained, one can start as many games as one wishes 🙂

Mark
    Good points, I have a star but have been frustrated a couple of times by players who were not resigning lost positions purely it seems to record the highest possible number of moves. I believe it is called a MAP War. All well and good, but remember those players who may be paying telephone charges for their time online.Or heaven forbid may have better things to do with their spare time. I am happy for opponents to play on for as long as they wish if they are getting something constructive from the game, but I do object to being used as a pawn in a MAP war that has very little to do with real chess. Having finished my moan I have to add this is the greatest chess site anywhere on the web

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree