largest known prime number found

largest known prime number found

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DS

Moves
04 Jan 06

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006-01-03-largest-prime-number_x.htm

could someone more math-savy than myself (this includes my toaster oven) explain briefly any practical use of a big prime number?

c
Copyright ©2001-2006

Eastbourne

Moves
04 Jan 06

Originally posted by Darth Sponge
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006-01-03-largest-prime-number_x.htm

could someone more math-savy than myself (this includes my toaster oven) explain briefly any practical use of a big prime number?
Security & Encryption.

The highest levels of security know to man relies on massive prime numbers. Because they are unpredictable.

DS

Moves
04 Jan 06

Originally posted by celticcountry
Security & Encryption.

The highest levels of security know to man relies on massive prime numbers. Because they are unpredictable.
ah, encryption... thanks

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
04 Jan 06

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
04 Jan 06

Originally posted by sasquatch672
Plus, you get to sound really, really smart to all the hottest girls when you talk about it.
Only to those in their prime 😵

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
04 Jan 06

Originally posted by sasquatch672
Plus, you get to sound really, really smart to all the hottest girls when you talk about it.
Military intelligence,two words that togheter don't make sense.......

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
05 Jan 06
2 edits

Originally posted by celticcountry
Security & Encryption.

Actually the prime numbers used in encryption are generated by the computer when making a key. They don't use lists of prime numbers (or crackers could just use that list to break it) and anyway the numbers used are much (much) smaller than the largest known.

The largest known prime number is useless for intents and purposes however there is a $100,000 prize for the first prime number of the form 2^n - 1 with 10 million digits or more (The newly found one has 9.1 million digits).

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
05 Jan 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
(The newly found one has 9.1 million digits).
It's also the 43rd known Mersenne Prime.

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
05 Jan 06

Originally posted by Bowmann
Dr. Bowmann....you are so educated, you kill me! Discovered by Dr.Steven Boone of Missouri State Univ. 2-30,402457-1 9,152,052 digits. I checked you out on that. Very good, Bowmann!

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
05 Jan 06

But it being the 43rd has no bearing on anything. Also to anyone who hasn't heard of them the name Mersenne Prime means nothing whereas the definition (prime number of the form 2^n - 1) means everything.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
05 Jan 06

I liked the way the article backtracked progressively. The headline reads "Mo. researchers find largest prime number", followed by "Researchers at a Missouri university have identified the largest known prime number" and finally "The discovery is affiliated with the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search, a global contest using volunteers who run software that searches for the largest Mersenne prime."

Sell those papers, you lousy hacks!

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
05 Jan 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
But it being the 43rd has no bearing on anything. Also to anyone who hasn't heard of them the name Mersenne Prime means nothing whereas the definition (prime number of the form 2^n - 1) means everything.
Then perhaps you should explain what a prime number is. For the benefit of those who have no idea.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
05 Jan 06

Originally posted by PBE6
Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search
Known as the GIMPS Project.

c
'Sir' to you

Osaka, Japan

Moves
06 Jan 06

Known as the GIMPS Project.
Hey, wasn't there a gimp in Pulp Fiction?

They're my kind of peeples, those leather masks with chains and snooker balls and stuff... Got to get one for the mother-in-law.