1. Joined
    17 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 15:37
    A javascript window that pops up when it is your turn to move in a game. Therefore, you wouldn't need to refresh the page all the time.

Even better if you could choose which game you would want to be notified. This would be for people who play a lot of games and is a particular game that he/she is interested in.
  2. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 18:59
    Originally posted by nishzone
    A javascript window that pops up when it is your turn to move in a game. Therefore, you wouldn't need to refresh the page all the time.

Even better if you could choose which game you would want to be notified. This would be for people who play a lot of games and is a particular game that he/she is interested in.
    Someone will post the link to a desktop app someone else created for this I'm sure. It exists, I just can't find it*.

*Can't be bothered to.
  3. Joined
    05 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 19:211 edit
    If you use firefox then you can install the XXXXX extension

Works perfect !

[Edited : Russ]
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 20:00
    Originally posted by Hub
    If you use firefox then you can install the XXXXX extension

Works perfect !

[Edited : Russ]
    Please don't install that, it is an highly inefficient way to refresh your page. You will be damaging this service for other people if you set your browser to refresh with any frequency.

If people start to use these tools then a daily request cap will be introduced for non-subs to prevent it.

Sorry to speak so firmly about it, but these kind of tools are a web masters nightmare.

-Russ
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 20:011 edit
    Try this for now.

Still not released officially, but it works just fine :

http://www.redhotpawn.com/beta/agentlauncher.php

-Russ
  6. Joined
    05 Aug '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 00:481 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    Please don't install that, it is an highly inefficient way to refresh your page. You will be damaging this service for other people if you set your browser to refresh with any frequency.

If people start to use these tools then a daily request cap will be introduced for non-subs to prevent it.

Sorry to speak so firmly about it, but these kind of tools are a web masters nightmare.

-Russ
    I'm sorry Russ , i did not know this extension could be damaging for this site, but i'd like to know why this is so ? I dont understand why refreshing a page (say every minute) would be 'damaging' for a website ? Please don't take this as a criticism , i'm asking this just out of curiosity. Thanx.

PS : I'm trying out the new RHP agent ... seems to be working allright 😉
  7. Home
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 01:331 edit
    If i am correct, when you refresh a page you reload the entire page, pictures text, links ext. When many people start doing this once a minute then that puts significant strain on the server. Clicking on a link will take you to a new page will draw from the cache, which loads similar content from your computer instead of the server. The real use for refresh is to reset the information on the page, incase there was an error. When multiple users start drawing heavly on the server it makes it slower for everyone.
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 08:46
    Originally posted by Hub
    I'm sorry Russ , i did not know this extension could be damaging for this site, but i'd like to know why this is so ? I dont understand why refreshing a page (say every minute) would be 'damaging' for a website ? Please don't take this as a criticism , i'm asking this just out of curiosity. Thanx.

PS : I'm trying out the new RHP agent ... seems to be working allright 😉
    If everyone ran this plug-in then browsers would refresh every minute (or less!). This is huge waste of resources, because in this time of 'always on' internet, people leave their PCs on all day and possibly all weekend at work.

This is a totally dynamic site, where pages cannot be cached, so each must be constructed each and every time a request occurs. It is a battle to keep our database performing under full load as it is at busy periods...

Any tool for notifying people needs to be intelligent to 'back off' if left unattended.

I hope this explains why I jumped on this thread like I did.

-Russ
  9. Joined
    05 Aug '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 12:58
    Originally posted by Russ
    If everyone ran this plug-in then browsers would refresh every minute (or less!). This is huge waste of resources, because in this time of 'always on' internet, people leave their PCs on all day and possibly all weekend at work.

This is a totally dynamic site, where pages cannot be cached, so each must be constructed each and every time a request occurs. I ...[text shortened]... if left unattended.

I hope this explains why I jumped on this thread like I did.

-Russ
    Okay i fully understand now , i won't be using this extension for this site from now on. RHP agent does a great job , no need for this extension anymore (when will this be 'officialy' released ?).
    Thanx
  10. Montréal
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 19:25
    That thing is really nifty. Nice work, Russ.
  11. Subscriberdaniv
    Daniel
    Bucharest
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 08:10
    Hello everyone. I used recently the agent launcher, but I found a disavantage: it dont refresh automatically when there are no waiting games.. Russ?
    Thanks
    Daniel

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree