1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 20:182 edits
    Faith No More User 70872 is now entered in two March banded tournaments (1250-1299 AND 1300-1349).
    Tournament 1032
    Tournament 1033
    EDIT: Can't view tournaments when not started: http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/index.php

He is an able 1400+ player entering 2 tournaments below his ability.
    I know, because of the way tournaments are structured, he can only enter these bands blah blah blah, but entering himself in 2 bands is not on.

This is pissing me off now! (Again!)
  2. Berks.
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 21:14
    Whilst I'd agree with you regarding people entering too low bands (although for the higher one here this is not in the league of other pointed examples), what is wrong with entering two bands?

For those people who are genuinely near to the boundary of two bands thye'll fit nicely into both. Perhaps with larger bands they'll be one of the strongest in one, and a weaker player in the other, but at their rough level.

I can think of someone who has managed to enter three bands in the same round of tournament before too.
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 22:13
    Originally posted by Peakite
    what is wrong with entering two bands?
    Banded tournaments are there to create equall opportunity for all players on the site to compete in a tournament setting against players of relatively the same ability.

This case is getting my goat because FNM is realistically the strongest player in both bands (I didn't check the other players in the bands - he's name just caught my eye) and should actually be playing in a band or two higher than the ones he's entered into.

Aiko is also in both, but the bands really intersect his rating differential.

The banded tournament system is inherently flawed.
  4. Berks.
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 22:47
    Ah, sorry, I misread your first post. I agreed with FNM, thought you were against two bands in general. My mistake.
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 02:14
    There are a few people in both tourneys a bit below their rating abilities.

Until the problem is addressed by Russ, and it does not seem to be high priority given the number of times it has happened then there is no point moaning about it.

Some people just want a tourney victory next to their name. If a 1450+ player needs to win a 1250-1299 tourney then so be it. The victory will be a hollow one.

There is always the chnce that the member will timeout! 🙂
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 06:03
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Until the problem is addressed by Russ, and it does not seem to be high priority given the number of times it has happened then there is no point moaning about it.

Some people just want a tourney victory next to their name. If a 1450+ player needs to win a 1250-1299 tourney then so be it. The victory will be a hollow one.

There is always the chnce that the member will timeout! 🙂
    WTF!? It won't be a hollow victory to the people who belong in the band.

BTW. On this site, the only way to get things done is to moan about it long enough.
  7. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 06:26
    Originally posted by Crowley
    WTF!? It won't be a hollow victory to the people who belong in the band.

BTW. On this site, the only way to get things done is to moan about it long enough.
    Have you tried sending direct feedback? Hmm?
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 08:18
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Have you tried sending direct feedback? Hmm?
    No.
    This problem needs to be dicussed again.
  9. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 08:48
    No.
    This problem needs to be dicussed again.
    I don't think need is the right word. I think want would be more fitting. As I'm perfectly sure the admins know of the situation, as multiple people have sent in suggestions for tournament mods. And I'm sure Russ takes the occasional morning stroll through this forum and sees all the complaints about people being in the wrong band.
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 09:13
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    I don't think need is the right word. I think want would be more fitting. As I'm perfectly sure the admins know of the situation, as multiple people have sent in suggestions for tournament mods. And I'm sure Russ takes the occasional morning stroll through this forum and sees all the complaints about people being in the wrong band.
    No.
    Need is the correct word.

I've never seen any input given by Russ about this problem in any threads. I've been 'moaning' about this for a long time now.
    I don't know how high up on the priority list something like this is (or would be), but for me it's basically top priority.

If I have to start spamming to bring attention to this, I will.
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 12:01
    Actually I asked FNM to leave the under 1200 tourney which he did after pointing out that he was allowed to enter... I didn't aks him for the nexct one, since I had signed up for it. NOw I changed the band one up again (though I really think I could play with some foundation in the under 1299 🙂 )and I will aks hiom to leave the next band...
  12. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 12:03
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Whilst I'd agree with you regarding people entering too low bands (although for the higher one here this is not in the league of other pointed examples), what is wrong with entering two bands?
    In this case it might be most welcome since the tournaments seem to not fill up for days now. For the two bands I am in, this might be caused by Faith No More in combination with the increase of 14 games each tournament. Quite an investment in games with a slim chance of winning...
  13. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 18:171 edit
    First of all, I would like to point out that I'm really not an "able" 1450+ player. My graph is very misleading. Take a look at my recent/old games. Tell me if I seem like a 1500 player. Hell you can even take a look at my games against people who posted in this thread. You'll see my true "skill".

If crowley's intentions were really to get me out of the tournament he could've just PM'ed me. I'd exit in a sec.
    Instead he chose to be a d*ckhead. Fine by me...

I may leave the banded, I may not.
    This thread kinda pissed me off so I feel like staying in the banded just for the sake of it... maybe i'll even get to be in the same group as crowley... that way I can hopefully singlehandedly make sure he doesn't win this one.

Matter of fact is that I don't give a s*it and this thread certainly doesn't make me want to do anyone here any favors.
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 06:281 edit
    Originally posted by Faith No More
    First of all, I would like to point out that I'm really not an "able" 1450+ player. My graph is very misleading. Take a look at my recent/old games. Tell me if I seem like a 1500 player. Hell you can even take a look at my games against people who posted in this thread. You'll see my true "skill".

If crowley's intentions were really to get me out of s*it and this thread certainly doesn't make me want to do anyone here any favors.
    Yes, FNM, if you are in the same group as me, you will certainly take me out, kick my ass.
    Well done. I actually also hope it happens.

You may not be a 1500 player (I said you're an able 1400 player by the way and I think you are), but you are definately the strongest player in the god damned 1250-1299 band!

I understand that strong(er) players whose ratings are now not what they should be can only enter lower banded tourneys. But entering TWO banded tournaments is just irritating. You are now taking up a spot that could be filled by another player who really is in this 'ability range'

I didn't start this thread because I'm trying to be a 'd*ckhead' you douchebag, I'm using this to show (yet again) how the banded tournament system is flawed - and how stronger players could possibly use this to manipulate their ratings in order to win tournaments - but I'm sure you're not one of those sad cases.

I can certainly see you don't give a s*it though, else you wouldn't have entered TWO low banded tournaments like you did.

Again, good luck in wiping the floor with us 'weaker' players.

You could've replied to this thread about how you were sorry or you didn't know that you entered both - BS!; but instead you come in here and say how you, a stronger player entered into a low rated band (that you shouldn't have been allowed to enter in the first place), will make sure that the lower rated players can't reach the next round!

Who is the real d*ckhead here!?
  15. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 22:11
    Yes, FNM, if you are in the same group as me, you will certainly take me out, kick my ass.
    Well done. I actually also hope it happens.

You may not be a 1500 player (I said you're an able 1400 player by the way and I think you are), but you are definately the strongest player in the god damned 1250-1299 band!

I understand that strong(er) players whose ...[text shortened]... r rated players can't reach the next round!

Who is the real d*ckhead here!?
    I was away last month, and my rating dropped quite a bit frome timeouts, I was rated 1550, but now am 1150, I only like playing banded tournaments, so I joined the only banded tournment I could enter, but Im just whipping everyone so badly, I could easily win the tournament, and after reading this thread I just decided to resign all them games, My problem still remains though because all my rating is going to do is go down even more.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree