1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 May '06 08:14
    Due to all the additional admin work involved (and some unhappiness at the bank), we will no longer will be accepting checks/cheques for less than 2 years subscription at once.

-Russ
  2. University
    Moves
    25 May '06 19:58
    Originally posted by Russ
    Due to all the additional admin work involved (and some unhappiness at the bank), we will no longer will be accepting checks/cheques for less than 2 years subscription at once.

-Russ
    What about money orders or certified cheques?
  3. Joined
    18 Mar '05
    Moves
    26 May '06 02:47

-Russ
    Is this for new subscriptions or for those already subscribed? What about those whose subscription will be due soon? Can I make the payment by checks on a yearly basis then?
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    26 May '06 09:06
    Sorry, I don't wish to appear that we are ungrateful for any subscription contributions, but dealing with checks of different currencies (and of low value where people have sent monthly checks) and accounting for them is causing quite a bit of overhead. (And I am my banks least popular customer!)

So, if it is not an electronic payment of some kind, then sorry, it will need to be limited to 2 years at once.

-Russ
  5. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    27 May '06 00:19
    But sending euro, dollar or pound notes to your address might be possible? Or does the British post agency have a money scanner online while processing the letters and packages?
  6. Joined
    19 May '06
    Moves
    27 May '06 03:53
    In a way. it is kind of convinient for us because we won't have to worry too often when our subscriptions will be due.

Cheers!
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 May '06 08:231 edit
    First site I've ever seen that refuses to accept money. 😲
  8. Joined
    19 May '06
    Moves
    28 May '06 11:37
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I think what Russ means is that everyone can still pay in check/cheques provided they pay for two years subscriptions at one time because there will be less work involved. Furthermore, it will be benefits everyone because they don't have to worry so much about when their subs will be due. They can still pay monthly or yearly by credit card though.🙂
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    29 May '06 01:57

-Russ
    I can forsee a drop in subscribers 🙁

If people are paying monthly it will no doubt means that this is the easiest way for them to budget. Getting asked to pay up front for 2 years will probably mean that many will be unable to budget and will stop their subscription.

With the volume of worldwide subs there are surely it would be simple enough to operate three bank accounts in £, € and $ within your bank?

If your bank is unhappy with the amount of "work" you are giving them, remember you are paying them substantial fees, then you should look at moving to a better bank.

A simple excel spreadsheet should enable you to keep track of payments received, and reduce admin.

Hopefully the volume of subs who do not renew will not materially affect the site.
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    29 May '06 03:03
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Really? I have come across tons of sites that accept credit card only. I guess they must not want my money either.
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    29 May '06 03:09
    Originally posted by adramforall
    I can forsee a drop in subscribers 🙁

If people are paying monthly it will no doubt means that this is the easiest way for them to budget. Getting asked to pay up front for 2 years will probably mean that many will be unable to budget and will stop their subscription.

With the volume of worldwide subs there are surely it would be simple enough ...[text shortened]... dmin.

Hopefully the volume of subs who do not renew will not materially affect the site.
    90% (estimate) of users pay by credit card.
  12. Earth Prime
    Moves
    29 May '06 13:05
    I am my banks least popular customer!
    You get that many?
  13. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    29 May '06 20:41
    Originally posted by adramforall
    With the volume of worldwide subs there are surely it would be simple enough to operate three bank accounts in £, € and $ within your bank?
    I don't think that it is the currency that is the problem.

Banks levy high charges for dealing with cheques - on a per cheque basis. This means that paying monthly by cheque will cost Russ and the site 12x more than paying annually by cheque.

By requesting that uses who pay by cheque do so for 2 years at a time will vastly reduce the overheads, and this can only be a good thing.
  14. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    30 May '06 12:00
    Originally posted by Aiko
    But sending euro, dollar or pound notes to your address might be possible? Or does the British post agency have a money scanner online while processing the letters and packages?
    Sending cash through the post is generally a bad idea.
  15. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Moves
    30 May '06 15:25
    Originally posted by lausey
    Sending cash through the post is generally a bad idea.
    not if you are a post person .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree