1. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 13:56
    In my reading of the forums, there is a common impression that use of endgame databases/tablebases are not allowed during RHP games. There's also common opinion that the current TOS needs updated to address this. I apologise if I've overlooked some other related threads.

If the site mods agree that this is the situation, can we update the TOS 3 (b) to reflect this? I'd propose appending something like:

"However, endgame databases which support the correct evaluation of arbitrary endgame positions are not allowed. These are also commonly referred to as endgame tablebases. This ban includes Nalimov endgame databases and all online endgame database sites."

Until this is resolved, I sympathise with any genuine members who read the current TOS and don't realise that endgame DBs are banned. Not everyone reads the forums.

Thanks
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:33
    (b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third party to assist you in any game.[/b]

Wouldn't tablebases be covered under 'software' or 'third party'?
  3. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:48
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    (b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third party to assist you in any game.

Wouldn't tablebases be covered under 'software' or 'third party'?[/b]
    I think these terms are too general. For example, Chessbase 9 is software and so is Winboard, Chesspad, Bookup, Chess Assistant, etc. I very much doubt these are not allowed (unless they are used to access an engine).

So, to answer your question, I guess no.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 23:25
    Originally posted by Varenka
    I think these terms are too general. For example, Chessbase 9 is software and so is Winboard, Chesspad, Bookup, Chess Assistant, etc. I very much doubt these are not allowed (unless they are used to access an engine).

So, to answer your question, I guess no.
    The bit where it says "to assist you" is a bit vague - so yeah it could be made clearer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree