Time Zone

Standard memberc99ux
Site Ideas 01 Mar '07 07:48
  1. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 07:48
    This has been mentioned in other threads, but not as a specific subject.

How about time zones being used as well as flags?

Time zones are country-anonymous: parts of Russia, China, Japan and Australia are all in the same time zone, as are parts of Finland, Ukraine, Turkey, Egypt and South Africa.

Also, in the USA, Canada and Russia (and certain other countries as well), there are more than 2 or 3 different zones.

Flags show the country a player feels some kind of allegiance to (either through birth, residence or sympathy... Antarctica, I ask you...) or where they wish they were from. Time zones would serve a practical purpose, not an emotional one.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 08:47
    Originally posted by c99ux

Time zones are country-anonymous: parts of Russia, China, Japan and Australia are all in the same time zone, as are parts of Finland, Ukraine, Turkey, Egypt and South Africa.

Also, in the USA, Canada and Russia (and certain ...[text shortened]... here they wish they were from. Time zones would serve a practical purpose, not an emotional one.
    Hear, hear!
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 15:01

Also, in the USA, Canada and Russia (and certain ...[text shortened]... here they wish they were from. Time zones would serve a practical purpose, not an emotional one.
    Do you mean it should be enforced to state your time zone - though I imagine with most members it could be auto-detected?

Is there a privacy issue involved I wonder? Maybe not if it was by choice but that's how it is now almost, is it not?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 17:45
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Do you mean it should be enforced to state your time zone - though I imagine with most members it could be auto-detected?

Is there a privacy issue involved I wonder? Maybe not if it was by choice but that's how it is now almost, is it not?
    You have already given your time zone. I have. And I change it once every year to enter the summer solar saving time and once every year to return to the standard time. Or else, you wouldn't have the right time ticks in the poster headers. So RHP knows your time zone already.
  5. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 01:572 edits
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Of course not.

It's just a voluntary way of telling other players what time it is where you are, the same as a flag is a voluntary way of putting a country on your profile. As I insinuated before, some people lie or joke or in some other way say that they represent a country to which they have no claim because it makes them look good (or better than they really are...), or funny or whatever.

However, what is the point of lying about what the time is where you are?

EDIT: I don't suppose that changing a time zone would give anyone an extra hour of TO or TB...
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 02:30
    Of course not.

It's just a voluntary way of telling other players what time it is where you are, the same as a flag is a voluntary way of putting a country on your profile. As I insinuated before, some people lie or joke or in some other way say that they represent a country to which they have no claim because it makes them look good (or better than they re ...[text shortened]... EDIT: I don't suppose that changing a time zone would give anyone an extra hour of TO or TB...
    ok I agree in that case. 🙂
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 09:13
    Of course not.

It's just a voluntary way of telling other players what time it is where you are, the same as a flag is a voluntary way of putting a country on your profile. As I insinuated before, some people lie or joke or in some other way say that they represent a country to which they have no claim because it makes them look good (or better than they re ...[text shortened]... EDIT: I don't suppose that changing a time zone would give anyone an extra hour of TO or TB...
    My Time Zone is GMT -1. Therefore I get all the times converted to times of my time zone. I can see that this very posting is submitted approx 10.13 in my time.

Perhaps your Ttime zone is GMT +6. Therefor you get all the converted to times of your time zone. You can see that this very posting is written approx 03.13 in your time.

But I can imagine that all times of postings, games, PGNs, are stored, not in your times, not in my times, but in GMT Time Zone.

So if you have entered another time zone just to conciel from what time zone youn use at your location, you will get every time everywhere in the system in wrong times. Who want to have that?

I can't tell anything from your flag from where you're playing. I can't tell anything from your time zone information, but how far east or west from GMT zone you are. Argentinian or Canadian you can still keep as a secret.

This Time Zone information of yours is of your service, and yours only. the only thing it tetlls me is when you have your active period of the day and when you're supposed to sleep.

My mornings are boring because the majority of the RHP players are from US and they are asleep then. I perfer playing withy people eastwards of my time zone. To sho a players time zone for me is of great help to have new moves all over tha day.

I would like to see players timezone.
  8. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 12:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    My Time Zone is GMT -1. Therefore I get all the times converted to times of my time zone. I can see that this very posting is submitted approx 10.13 in my time.

Perhaps your Ttime zone is GMT +6. Therefor you get all the converted to times of your time zone. You can see that this very posting is written approx 03.13 in your time.

But I can imagine t ...[text shortened]... s of great help to have new moves all over tha day.

I would like to see players timezone.
    My time zone is actually GMT + 9, and you posted at 18:13. Moves are made and posts are posted in real time which is converted to a person's time zone at the local time. Yes, my remark about TO and TB was supposed to be a joke. "My time machine is a 2005 RHPCAWTFC Mark II..." Imagine changing my time zone so that I could take back a move! New Feature, Russ, please...

I am actually in Japan, I don't mind people knowing that, or that my name is Chris. My profile tells a lot of things that other people might prefer to keep quiet. I respect that. But knowing what time it is where my opponent is gives me a good idea of whether he's just waking up or just going to bed. That's why I suggested a time zone to be shown (but, the same as flags, not compulsorily), and I'm glad someone else agrees.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 14:11
    My time zone is actually GMT + 9, and you posted at 18:13. Moves are made and posts are posted in real time which is converted to a person's time zone at the local time. Yes, my remark about TO and TB was supposed to be a joke. "My time machine is a 2005 RHPCAWTFC Mark II..." Imagine changing my time zone so that I could take back a move! New Feature, Russ, p ...[text shortened]... to be shown (but, the same as flags, not compulsorily), and I'm glad someone else agrees.
    Ah, we agree...? Well, now I feel better!
    (Sorry if I thought otherwise, my mistake.) 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree