1. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 14:24
    I've been able to keep my rank between 1000 and 1100 over the course of my games, and was wondering what people think of that. Am I doing alright for myself? What is the average ranking for RHP players?

My rank just jumped up from 1017 to 1045, but that was mainly because I skulled two games. My true rank is still closer to 1020.

Critique my rank?
  2. back in business
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 14:25
    You suck. Sorry.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 14:31
    Originally posted by Daphnes
    I've been able to keep my rank between 1000 and 1100 over the course of my games, and was wondering what people think of that. Am I doing alright for myself? What is the average ranking for RHP players?

My rank just jumped up from 1017 to 1045, but that was mainly because I skulled two games. My true rank is still closer to 1020.

Critique my rank?
    start doing tactical puzzles. preferably every day, even if you can only do a few. it's not only fun, but also extremely beneficial to a beginner.

go check out chess tactics server for starters:

http://chess.emrald.net/
  4. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 14:311 edit
    @ Jusuh: Harshness. I was hoping it wasn't too bad. The last time I checked, the best player in the states was 1900-ish.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 14:36
    The last time I checked, the best player in the states was 1900-ish.
    your memory might've been pulling your leg on that one. 🙂
  6. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 14:381 edit
    I went to that site and tried a couple of problems, but I'm having difficulty knowing what they want me to do. They just give me a board, and start moving pieces, and then tell me I failed.

I don't understand what they want me to do.

EDIT: The last "solution" to a problem was apparently to move my knight to f3 to fork the queen and king, but there was a pawn on g2 that could have captured my knight. Why did the board want me to do that?

I'm drawing a blank here. I didn't see anywhere that they wanted me to pull off a fork move or something.
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 14:43
    I went to that site and tried a couple of problems, but I'm having difficulty knowing what they want me to do. They just give me a board, and start moving pieces, and then tell me I failed.

there's one single move that's the best, your job is to find that move. the first ones are probably too hard for you, but as your rating decreases the server will give you easier problems to solve.

on second thought, you'd probably better read the material on this site first, to find out what you're looking for, and then return to chess tactics server:

http://www.chesstactics.org/
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 14:45

EDIT: The last "solution" to a problem was apparently to move my knight to f3 to fork the queen and king, but there was ...[text shortened]... lank here. I didn't see anywhere that they wanted me to pull off a fork move or something.
    what's the number of the problem, so I can look it up?

you can find it on the 'session' page, where all the problems from your current session are listed.
  9. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 14:511 edit
    p05820
    p24768

Those are the first two problems I did. The first one would have had me lose a rook, as far as I could see, and the second would have had me lose a knight to a pawn.

I'm not playing on that site anymore. The last problem (p25839) wanted me to sacrifice a rook for a pawn. No.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 14:58

Critique my rank?
    You can determine how your rating ranks by doing the following:
    1) Click on "Player Tables" and then "Find Me". Your current rank is 16544
    2) Near the bottom you can find the total number of "active" players which is currently 18422.

So currently you're just outside the bottom 10 percent.
  11. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 15:00
    Bottm ten percent, huh? That is bad. Oh well, 'tis not the end. I'm having fun around here, and maybe my rank will climb someday.
  12. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 15:011 edit

This is the first problem and here the best move is Qc5 white can't take the rook on a8 because black plays Qc1+ and white's only move is blocking with the queen on d1 after which black plays Qxd1 checkmate, so Qc5 is a double attack, it attacks the c1 square threatening checkmate and the unprotected bishop on c6, white has to defend against the mate threat after which black can get the bishop.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 15:02
    p05820
    p24768

Those are the first two problems I did. The first one would have had me lose a rook, as far as I could see, and the second would have had me lose a knight to a pawn.
    the first one:
    1...Qxe7 2.Bxc6 Qc5 threatens back rank mate, so bishop can't capture the rook.

the second:

1...Nf3+ wins the white queen, because after 2.gxf3 gxf3+ white gets mated.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 15:02
    as wormwood has said, it's tactics tactics and tactics again. I'd even suggest you not to start anymore games in RHP, and dedicate the time you spend here for a few months of tactic training only.

the road between 1200 and 1400-1500 is actually very short, if you train tactics properly. you'll be surprised when you notice how your gameplay has changed after you come back here a few months later.
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 15:07
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    as wormwood has said, it's tactics tactics and tactics again. I'd even suggest you not to start anymore games in RHP, and dedicate the time you spend here for a few months of tactic training only.

the road between 1200 and 1400-1500 is actually very short, if you train tactics properly. you'll be surprised when you notice how your gameplay has changed after you come back here a few months later.
    there's no reason not to play, but the daily tactical training is indeed the thing that will make you better the quickest.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree