1. Joined
    29 Sep '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 05:18
    I'd say Daphnes attitude (I've got a lot to learn, I'm not afraid to ask for help, I'm enjoying this) is exactly what you need to get good at a lot of things. Including chess.
  2. washington
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 05:25
    buy a tactics book it will help you learn the various tactics. don't listn to other chess players when they give unhelpful criticism such as jusuh. i will bet everyone was at that level when they first learned to play the game. obviously his ego is bigger than his rating. you can get to a higher level by studying, and playing the game. good luck.

kmac27
  3. Joined
    05 Jun '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 08:46
    Anybody can share their RHP rating vs. CTS? (just to see if there is any correlation at all)
    I have range in CTS between 1300 and 1340 and have a provisionnal rating in RHP of around 1400.
    Cheers :-)
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 09:302 edits
    I'm rated roughly between 1550 & 1600 & still drop pieces sometimes.
    We all make mistakes - it's just a question of going through your thought process before each move & limiting errors.

Your opponent has just moved and your priority should be...

1) opponent's threats
    *checks - have to be dealt with.
    If you are in check, is it best to take the checking piece/pawn, block the check or move the king?
    *captures - attacked pieces/pawns
    *tactical threats (pins, skewers, forks)

2) what can your opponent do now that they couldn't before their last move?
    *what plan do they have?
    if you can decide what their plan is, can you stop it?
    e.g are they planning to stick a knight on that defended d5 outpost & can you scupper it with a simple pawn move?

3) what threats do you have?
    *is there a checkmate available?
    *do you have a forced sequence of moves that creates a threat or wins material?
    *checks are forcing moves - do you have any?
    *can you create a new threat?
    only make threats that make your position better if they can be met!
    *any tactics available?

4) strategy
    *put simply, how can you improve your position & put pieces on active squares or improve your pawn structure?

5) write a list of "candidate" moves
    *go through possible moves, try to refine your list & remove blunders, weak or pointless moves.
    *actually physically write them down. Writing/visualising aids in the learning process tremendously.
    You should have some ideas from the pointers above.

6) 3 or 4 moves...
    *usually you'll have a few moves that look good. You've checked them with the analyse game function & they aren't blunders & do counter a threat/make a threat/improve your position
    *the big task is to not just pick a move but the best move

I'm sure I've missed loads out, but that's generally what I think through whenever it's my turn.
  5. back in business
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 11:58
    Originally posted by xahhax
    Anybody can share their RHP rating vs. CTS? (just to see if there is any correlation at all)
    I have range in CTS between 1300 and 1340 and have a provisionnal rating in RHP of around 1400.
    1590 RHP - 1732 CTS
  6. Porthmadog
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 12:30
    1462 Rhp Cts-1320
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 12:38
    1860 rhp, 1580 cts.

there's not much correlation between CTS & RHP. your success rate alone on CTS makes a huge difference. hundreds of points.
  8. Joined
    05 Jun '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 13:05
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    1590 RHP - 1732 CTS
    This is quite high CTS ! :-)
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 13:39
    This is quite high CTS ! :-)
    yea, but he's 2000+ in both classical & blitz otb. he just sucks at CC and should quit it. 🙂
  10. Joined
    05 Jun '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 14:23
    Originally posted by wormwood
    yea, but he's 2000+ in both classical & blitz otb. he just sucks at CC and should quit it. 🙂

How can you suck at CC? Maybe some people need stress and adrenaline to be good? :-)
  11. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 14:35
    I don't use cts...I like chesstempo.com better...
    rhp=1825 ct=1801 in blitz
  12. back in business
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 18:201 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    he just sucks at CC and should quit it. 🙂
    dude, this means war 😀

And yes, I kind of suck at CC. One reason for that is the fact that I don't like to calculate, I just like to follow my instincts. Thats good style for blitz and bullet (where calculating means you'll lose on time), but not that good for CC.
  13. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 18:33
    Is there any site that has an interface as good as the Fritz GUI for puzzles/tests? I have a database with quizes from GM games on Fritz and solve them while the poor CTS interface has weaker games that bugger me due to that interface.

At the end of the day tactics alone will not help because if you brought a mate in 5 most people over 1500 will be able to solve it or suggest a good continuation but in a real game drop pieces or fall into a fork.
  14. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 18:38
    Originally posted by z00t
    Is there any site that has an interface as good as the Fritz GUI for puzzles/tests? I have a database with quizes from GM games on Fritz and solve them while the poor CTS interface has weaker games that bugger me due to that interface.

At the end of the day tactics alone will not help because if you brought a mate in 5 most people over 1500 will be able to solve it or suggest a good continuation but in a real game drop pieces or fall into a fork.
    some of the puzzles on the site are like that...you are in check and if you move to the wrong square you get forked...it helps all area of your game
  15. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 18:50
    Originally posted by z00t

Sticking to basic opening principles, a decent move thought process + concentrating on tactical training will get most people over 1400 with ease I should think.

I can strongly recommend CT-Art 3.0 after completing 200 tests for anyone serious about improving their game quickly via tactical knowledge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree