1. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 19:18
    Quite easy little thing by me. White to play and win.

2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 19:23
    get queen...horse...pawn...rook
  3. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 19:33
    Originally posted by uzless
    4. Qxe2? Nxe2
  4. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 19:52
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    Quite easy little thing by me.
    By you?

Not only has this been given in this forum at least once before, but also, I have it in a few books.
  5. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 20:21
    Could you link me to the other threads? I composed this today, so I'm 100% certain it's by me.
  6. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 20:31
    You're correct. A quick search for grotesque chess puzzles produces this by Otto Blathy from 1922:

with almost the exact same position, and identical idea in the key (second) move. I can assure you that this wasn't plagiarism but an incredibly striking instance of convergence.
  7. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 20:41
    You're correct. A quick search for grotesque chess puzzles produces this by Otto Blathy from 1922:
    [fen]8/8/8/2p5/1pp5/brpp4/qpprpK1P/1nkbn3[/fen]
    with almost the exact same position, and identical idea in the key (second) move. I can assure you that this wasn't plagiarism but an incredibly striking instance of convergence.
    Yes, that's what I meant:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=25785
  8. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 22:01
    You're correct. A quick search for grotesque chess puzzles produces this by Otto Blathy from 1922: ...
    uh huh
  9. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 22:051 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    wrong order. first you should take the knight with your king, only then promote your pawn to a queen, take a pawn and mate by taking the rook.
  10. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 00:39
    i wrote a play called hamler and then discovered that someone called shakespear had written someting very similar a long time ago, harmonic convergences really do happen
  11. Standard memberAnzelak
    Sloth's First King
    Mansfield, England
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 02:06
    Originally posted by coquette
    i wrote a play called hamler and then discovered that someone called shakespear had written someting very similar a long time ago, harmonic convergences really do happen
    You're angry? Pah...

In a previous life as a lowly turnip farmer, I wrote the play Othello between March and November 1599. I was quite impressed with myself.

But then this horrible, violent man named Will came at me with a sword one cold evening, stole my turnips and my play and went on to perform it four years later.
  12. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 03:10
    Originally posted by Anzelak
    You're angry? Pah...

In a previous life as a lowly turnip farmer, I wrote the play Othello between March and November 1599. I was quite impressed with myself.

But then this horrible, violent man named Will came at me with a sword one cold evening, stole my turnips and my play and went on to perform it four years later.
    And you think you've got it tough!

I was walking along, minding my own business with a nice new sword sometime between March and November 1599, when some guy named Will came and bopped me on the nose and stole my sword saying "O balmy breath, that dost almost persuade; Justice to break her sword! One more, one more."

I did notice he already had quite a collection of swords, but wondered why he needed mine.
  13. Standard memberAnzelak
    Sloth's First King
    Mansfield, England
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 03:371 edit
    Originally posted by Gastel
    And you think you've got it tough!

I was walking along, minding my own business with a nice new sword sometime between March and November 1599, when some guy named Will came and bopped me on the nose and stole my sword saying "O balmy breath, that dost almost persuade; Justice to break her sword! One more, one more."

I did notice he already had quite a collection of swords, but wondered why he needed mine.
    If only I had this Will character before me now, I'd grab him by the throat and say to him "If you bethink yourself of any crime, Unreconciled as yet to heaven and grace, Solicit for it straight." I'd explain, "I would not kill thy unprepared spirit."

Then, after a short pause in case he did need to pray for a moment, I'd beat him to death with a trusty turnip.

P.S: Cheers for the reply 😀, I thought I was going to get panned.
  14. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 07:50
    Man this is embarassing. And what's more, there's no way of proving the fact that I didn't copy someone else's puzzle. If you start from the idea of having the queen moving up and down on the bottom left, then the piece above it has to be a bishop, above and to the right has to be a rook surrounded by pawns, and down and to the right has to be a knight. If you continue from there wanting the key to be moving one pawn so the rook can be taken without queen protection you cannot really avoid getting such a similar position.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 09:48
    And the solution is?????????

How does white mate?
    KxN and the pawn races up board =Q.
    Then QxRb3 ?

leaving white only one move Q-a2.

What then? What have I missed?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree