1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Jan '08 17:061 edit
    It is now possible to start a game from the current position being viewed in the game history.

Click the 'Start game from position' link.

The game position can then be edited further by using the "set piece" link in the left hand column.

-Russ
  2. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Jan '08 21:23
    Originally posted by Russ
    It is now possible to start a game from the current position being viewed in the game history.

-Russ
    Another tick-off on my wishlist! Thanks Russ!
  3. Joined
    28 Jan '04
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 04:38
    And remind me why this is a good feature?
  4. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 07:59
    So that a couple of players can analyse their game, find the first blunder, and replay from that point to learn how the blunder affected the outcome. Maybe it's just for the benefit of lower-rated players, but we're certainly happy to see it!
  5. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 10:321 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    That's a wonderful feature indeed (one that I never would have even thought of), especially for the occasional chess teachers among us.

Well appreciated!
  6. Standard memberMrJohn
    A Chess Friend :-)
    Texas :-)
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 03:13
    Originally posted by luctruc
    And remind me why this is a good feature?
    Yeah, I once played a series of games (in the forum I played in before I came to RHP) in which I methodically worked my way through a particular position that had me baffled. After a half dozen or so tries I posted a note to the chess-only forum here and a fellow showed me how to beat it. Anyway, this is definitely a feature with appeal to me.

Thanks, Russ! :-)
  7. Joined
    20 Aug '07
    Moves
    02 Feb '08 17:281 edit
    How about actually giving more features rather than just making it more convenient? Allowing different castling rules so that Fischer random chess could be played, for example, would be cool.

Nak
  8. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 01:09
    I would be sad to see chess variants being played on this site. One of its attractions is that nobody except an idiot can say "that's not in the rules".

When I want to play variants I go to chessvariants.org - RHP is a REAL CHESS site.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 01:57
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    So that a couple of players can analyse their game, find the first blunder, and replay from that point to learn how the blunder affected the outcome. Maybe it's just for the benefit of lower-rated players, but we're certainly happy to see it!
    I think it's for the benefit of players of any level who want to work on their chess. It should also be great for tutoring. I also like that it's not only available for your own games. It could sometimes be interesting to play out some variations in a game that is discussed in the chess forum, for example.
  10. Johannesburg
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 13:13
    I would be sad to see chess variants being played on this site. One of its attractions is that nobody except an idiot can say "that's not in the rules".

When I want to play variants I go to chessvariants.org - RHP is a REAL CHESS site.
    I'm also not keen on seeing all sorts of variants croping up. However, Fischer Random is still chess, but with different starting positions.

I like the idea of Fischer Random, because it would bring play back to the competion of two minds instead of two opening libraries.
  11. Joined
    28 Jan '04
    Moves
    04 Feb '08 02:43
    Originally posted by craigy
    I'm also not keen on seeing all sorts of variants croping up. However, Fischer Random is still chess, but with different starting positions.

I like the idea of Fischer Random, because it would bring play back to the competion of two minds instead of two opening libraries.
    Ditto. In fact, you can think of it as "full chess," with the standard set-up just one of the 960 deals. The same can't be said for bughouse or corner chess or any of the other variants, which are crimes against Nature and abominations in the eyes of the Lord. I'd like to see FRC here.
  12. Joined
    20 Aug '07
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 03:32

Yes, good point. What was I thinking? Oh wait, we could make it so that you wouldn't be forced to play them. Hmmm, why didn't I think of this before? Silly me.

Nak

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree