1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 15:01
    I'm asked to be tournament leader for a Fisher Random tournament in our local club.

I think I will start by a short presentation of Fischer as a person, and his ideas of his Random Chess. I will point out the rules, as being the same as normal chess, especially the castling rule, and the only difference: its random starting positions. Then I let the tournament begin.

I don't think a blitz tournament is good, I want it to be at least 10 minutes per player and game, what do you think?

I let all players play from the same postition of the round. Next round I switch to another position. I will predefine what positions we will use and hand out written positions with figurines on a board so they know for sure what position is at hand. What do you think?

Is there anything more I have to think about? What can go wrong if I miss some important point?

I haven't myself played any Fisher Random game. Perhaps I should...

Please, give me some good ideas, I'd very much appreciate...
  2. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 15:23
    If you want to play some games: schemingmind.com is a good adress. There are also experienced players.

I think your planning flawless, only that you might have to check all the board before starting a round (or have arbiters) depends on how many boards are set up.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 15:37
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    If you want to play some games: schemingmind.com is a good adress. There are also experienced players.

I think your planning flawless, only that you might have to check all the board before starting a round (or have arbiters) depends on how many boards are set up.
    I do the arbiting myself. I have no help there.

And, yes it's a good idea to check the boards before every round begins. Didn't think of that. But it takse some time to do it.

I don't think I will have more than max 30 participants. I can be like an allseing eye. But i think I will have a busy time explaining that yes you can castle, no you cannot castle, no you have castled wrongly, yes this is alright. Castling is perhaps the biggest problem of it all.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 16:06
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I do the arbiting myself. I have no help there.

And, yes it's a good idea to check the boards before every round begins. Didn't think of that. But it takse some time to do it.

I don't think I will have more than max 30 participants. I can be like an allseing eye. But i think I will have a busy time explaining that yes you can castle, no you cannot c ...[text shortened]... have castled wrongly, yes this is alright. Castling is perhaps the biggest problem of it all.
    Castle is not so tricky, they should end where they belong if you castle to either side... regardless where they started.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/fischerandom

Read up on "castling" and print it out (quick rules, section III). Tell the players they can ask you if they are doing it right. Just be sure YOU know where the castle should end up either side of the board.

P-
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 16:10
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Castle is not so tricky, they should end where they belong if you castle to either side... regardless where they started.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/fischerandom

Read up on "castling" and print it out (quick rules, section III). Tell the players they can ask you if they are doing it right. Just be sure YOU know where the castle should end up either side of the board.

P-
    Good advices, and a good link. Thanks Phlab.
  6. Big D
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 16:13
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I'm asked to be tournament leader for a Fisher Random tournament in our local club.

I think I will start by a short presentation of Fischer as a person, and his ideas of his Random Chess. I will point out the rules, as being the same as normal chess, especially the castling rule, and the only difference: its random starting positions. Then I let the to ...[text shortened]... om game. Perhaps I should...

Please, give me some good ideas, I'd very much appreciate...
    Fritz8 has a Fischer Random mode you can play against the computer. I'd definitely recommend playing it to get over the shock of throwing all opening theory out the door.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 16:18
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    Fritz8 has a Fischer Random mode you can play against the computer. I'd definitely recommend playing it to get over the shock of throwing all opening theory out the door.
    Have to try that...
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 17:451 edit
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    Ah, I'll have to try it also. Did not know.

I don't think it lets me castle, is this true?

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree