1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 01:28
    I'm thinking I'll study the English opening for the next 9-12 months, anybody think that using this will hurt my play overall/be less effective than 1.e4?

By hurting my play I mean longterm, because obviously at my rating I can play just about any opening and have an even game.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 01:35
    KIA is your best oppenning mR.1300!
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 01:571 edit
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I'm thinking I'll study the English opening for the next 9-12 months, anybody think that using this will hurt my play overall/be less effective than 1.e4?

By hurting my play I mean longterm, because obviously at my rating I can play just about any opening and have an even game.
    Using the English opening you might develop other aspects of your game, ie hyper modern ones(controling center with pieces), that you wouldnt when playing classical openings (1.e4 1.d4) On the other hand you might not develop more classical principles as quick as you would with e4/d4

I dont think it will really hurt your development and English is a quality opening that should last a life time......touch wood.

Most GMs recommend you play 1.e4 for the tactical work out you get with it, english tends to be a little less tactically wild, so just make sure you do study tactics in your training time to keep yourself sharp.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree