1. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 00:061 edit
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    ... The verdict on 3...b6 isn't quite so clear ...
    3. ... b6 can't be a critical reply to 3. a3 because White can respond with 4. Nf3 and transpose into a mainline Queen's Indian position.

Obviously that's going to be playable for Black but I feel s/he should be attempting to punish White a little more for a3
  2. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 00:27
    😲
  3. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 00:59
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    3. ... b6 can't be a critical reply to 3. a3 because White can respond with 4. Nf3 and transpose into a mainline Queen's Indian position.

Obviously that's going to be playable for Black but I feel s/he should be attempting to punish White a little more for a3
    3. a3 is, IMHO, an inferior move to the alternative 3. Nf3, which achieves the same goal of avoiding the Nimzo while also being much more active and purposeful. As you mentioned in an earlier post of yours, 3... b6 (and possibly 3... d5 and 3... c5) seem to give black equality.

I think 3... a3 isn't so much a "bad" move, as it is a passive move. With it White doesn't weaken his position or lose a tempo that is critical. What he does do, again IMHO, is after the 3 candidate responses above from black, give away his advantage of the first move. To do that on move 3 may not be exactly "poor play", but I wouldn't call it good chess either.

One of the precepts of positional chess is the accumulation of small advantages, with the idea of later converting them to a winning advantage. 3. a3 gives black the opportunity to create just such a small advantage by neutralizing, so early in the game, white's first move advantage. I think then that either of the 3 responses covered is about as much punishment as black can dole out for such a slight transgression.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 01:21
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    Really?

Why then, in the original post, did you say of 3. ... d5 "certainly seems to be the critical defense"

Total lack of modesty prevents me from pointing out that I suggested ... c5 in the original thread (based on the idea that a3 is of no use in a Benoni)

Edit... and now I look, I see I even suggested 3. g3 as a more sensible alt ...[text shortened]... hat day.

Edit2 ... I still doubt 3. a3 hands the advantage to Black. = for sure but not =+
    Wow, you're a completely pretentious idiot. I still think that 3...d5 IS the critical defense, and as I pointed out - 3...c5 can be met with a line where white seems to get equal play.

So you pointed out 3...c5? Who cares...like I said, I'd already considered it - and I'd previously considered 3.g3 as an option.

Maybe you should check your "crystal ball."
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 01:22
    Originally posted by scandium
    3. a3 is, IMHO, an inferior move to the alternative 3. Nf3, which achieves the same goal of avoiding the Nimzo while also being much more active and purposeful. As you mentioned in an earlier post of yours, 3... b6 (and possibly 3... d5 and 3... c5) seem to give black equality.

I think 3... a3 isn't so much a "bad" move, as it is a passive move. With it ...[text shortened]... vered is about as much punishment as black can dole out for such a slight transgression.
    Again, I've decided on the Catalan, but I still think 3.a3 is perfectly playable.
  6. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 09:11
    Originally posted by scandium
    ... I think 3... a3 isn't so much a "bad" move, as it is a passive move. ....
    Your post sums up exactly how I feel about 3. a3 as well
  7. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 09:12
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Wow, you're a completely pretentious idiot."
    My dear Oscar, I wish I'd thought of saying that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree