1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    11 Oct '22 19:50
    I've been playing through the decisive games of the current US Chess Championship, and this seems to be a very common opening for White in those games.

Is that because it's the most flexible / transposable / maybe unpredictable?
  2. e4
    Moves
    11 Oct '22 20:59
    Hi Kevin,

After playing 1.e4 e5 you are 99% sure where the g1 Knight is going.
    Not all the time, you can play 2.Bc4, 2.f4, 2.d4 2.Nc3 etc...
    So flexibility is the reason. It's on a good square to react to anything.

Also 2.Nf3 after 1.e4 e5 has been top choice since the1880's when the game was starting
    to be looked at seriously by Steinitz then Lasker and Tarrasch. so it has a long pedigree.

Occasionally you see other second moves after 1.e4 e5 but it's been 2.Nf3 in every
    world championship match since 1910. That was when we saw the last Kings Gambit
    (1.e4 e5 2. f4) In a world championship match. Lasker v Janowski 1910.
    Lasker was leading 7-0 when he played it..
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Oct '22 11:02
    @kevin-eleven said
    I've been playing through the decisive games of the current US Chess Championship, and this seems to be a very common opening for White in those games.

Hello Kevin. I think greenpawn is correct, flexibility is the reason. It's on a good square to react to anything. The move order however is a matter of taste, since white has a number of 2nd moves that are at least as good such as 2. Nc3 and 2. Bc4. As the Beatles once said "It's been going in and out of style, but it's guaranteed to raise a smile"
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    12 Oct '22 12:511 edit
    @greenpawn34 and @mchill: Thank you both for your replies! 🙂
  5. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    12 Oct '22 14:35
    @kevin-eleven said

Against a comparably strong opponent, White's moves in the opening are ordinarily chosen so as to provide the best chance of eventually outplaying the opponent. This could be due to an opening's requiring more accurate play from Black than from White, White's being exceptionally knowledgeable about that opening, or White's having discovered a weakness in the opponent's repertoire.

One's psychological or physical state can also be a factor. For example, after a series of exhausting games, one might want a fairly straightforward draw in order to recoup one's energy or motivation.
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    12 Oct '22 15:15
    @FMDavidHLevin: Thank you!
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Oct '22 16:30
    @greenpawn34 said
    Also 2.Nf3 after 1.e4 e5 has been top choice since the1880's when the game was starting
    to be looked at seriously by Steinitz then Lasker and Tarrasch. so it has a long pedigree.
    Longer than that - it was recommended by writers as far back as Damiano and Ruy Lopez. Even back then, not everybody trusted the king's gambit, and AFAIK only Philidor preferred the bishop's game.
  8. e4
    Moves
    13 Oct '22 20:28
    Some good players having been reading this forum. I was emailed today about it,
    (not PM's - emailed!) and reminded that 2.Nc3 was played in;

Alekhine - Euwe World Championship Match 1935.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree