Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 02 Jan '09 12:08
    and then what?

    what do you reply with?

    i've been playing d5 or c5 in all my games against e4 but is there anything else you would recommend playing?

    not e5 i just won't do it.
  2. 02 Jan '09 12:21
    There are several options:

    1... Nf6
    1... Nc6
    1... c6
    1... e6
    1... d6
    1... g6
    1... b6

    All those have been played succesfully by Grand Masters. Take your pick.
  3. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    02 Jan '09 12:25 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by trev33
    and then what?

    what do you reply with?

    i've been playing d5 or c5 in all my games against e4 but is there anything else you would recommend playing?

    not e5 i just won't do it.
    Have used:

    1...d6 (Main weapon in serious OTB games)
    1...b6 (Another serious OTB weapon)
    1...d5 (Sometimes used in OTB)
    1...g6 (When I`m really aggressive minded)
    1...e5 (Used mostly in blitz/bullet with intention to play Latvian gambit)
    1...c5 (Very occasionally, mostly against weaker opposition, or when I`m tired to play usual replies)
    1...e6 (Earlier it was one of my main weapons but now playing very rare)
    1...c6 (have been played few times)
    1...g5 (also have been played few times)
    1...a6 (Have one RHP game in progress and maybe 1 or 2 times have been used in blitz/bullet)
  4. 02 Jan '09 13:02
    Originally posted by Korch
    Have used:

    1...d6 (Main weapon in serious OTB games)
    what's the early sequence of move normally after playing d6?

    what is your main plan with playing it?
  5. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    02 Jan '09 14:01 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by trev33
    what's the early sequence of move normally after playing d6?

    what is your main plan with playing it?
    My main system then is 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 e5 and white has 2 main options:
    1) Equal endgame after 4.dxe5 dxe5 5.Qxd8+ Kxd8
    2) Transpose into Philidor Hanham Variation after 4.Nf3 Nbd7Which I like to play.