1. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    07 Aug '08 18:50
    I finally did it - I got my rating over 2000 on fics. It might not seem like a big deal with my rating being 2000 here anyway, but it is a quite a hard slog to get up over there - even the low rated players put up quite a fight.
  2. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 11:01
    I suppose you are talking about blitz...
    I agree, it was very difficult to me to hit a best greater than 1900...and there are many FMs there around 2000(I found one who was around 1700 😀 )
  3. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 11:10
    I never really see the masters around there - do they appear invisible unless they challenge you?
  4. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 11:26
    for example a weak one: finger eff (I won some blitz games against him)
    =FM is the command to see all FMs from Fics that proved their title to the admins...some are not interested in this and you cn fin it in their finger notes...and some keep it secret 😛
  5. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 11:37
    Are there any higher masters? Or do they play for free on icc?
  6. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 12:16
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    Are there any higher masters? Or do they play for free on icc?
    there are some IMs and GMs, and I know also a SuperGM that play , but thay are usually incognoti and thei mainly play variants, not chess
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 18:391 edit
    Originally posted by vipiu
    ...and I know also a SuperGM that play , but thay are usually incognoti
    everybody on fics knows that guy though. 🙂

the lack of titled players is probably because they get free subs on the commercial servers, so there really is not that much point for them to join fics. except for wanting to play with friends who only play on fics...
  8. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 06:46
    Originally posted by wormwood
    everybody on fics knows that guy though. 🙂

the lack of titled players is probably because they get free subs on the commercial servers, so there really is not that much point for them to join fics. except for wanting to play with friends who only play on fics...
    I thinkk they should try to do the same here, on redHotPawn....
    Free subscriptions for titled players...
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 07:411 edit
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I never really see the masters around there - do they appear invisible unless they challenge you?
    They have titles by their name but virtually all of them play on other servers since they get free subscriptions and better quality. Moreover, ICC and Playchess.com have better controls against immoral scumbags who have little skill of their own and simply steal other player's deserved results (aka cheats). This is why a lot of the strong adult players who could afford it moved to the other servers. While cheating is probably still rare at FICS (and is eventually detected), the other servers give more peace of mind. Don't get me wrong though, FICS is the best free live chess site and offers a lot. It's just that it's not quite at the level of ICC and Playchess.com.

Anyway, congratulations on your achievement!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree