1. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 10:33
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Wow! What were her other games like? She must have played against some players with a half decent rating??
    My understanding is that CM and WCM titles are awarded to any player who scores 50% or more in an Olympiad, regardless of the ratings of their opponents.
  2. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 11:17
    2 players died 🙁
  3. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 11:463 edits
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    2 players died 🙁
    Yes, Kurt Meier, was was board 2 for the Seychelles, collapsed at the board. His son was playing on board 1. Both games were drawn, I assume that their opponents graciously agreed to this when it was clear that Mr Meier senior was unwell.

The player who died in his hotel room was Alisher Anarkulov of Uzbekistan.
  4. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 16:32
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    Yes, Kurt Meier, was was board 2 for the Seychelles, collapsed at the board. His son was playing on board 1. Both games were drawn, I assume that their opponents graciously agreed to this when it was clear that Mr Meier senior was unwell.

Mr. Anarkulov was on the international team for the deaf
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 21:57
    Originally posted by Data Fly

Oh that is so terrible! The poor boy, what should have been a moment of family pride that would last for a lifetime is turned into a tragedy. At least his Dad got to see him achieve that great feat before he died. I hope he will see the silver lining eventually. Most men spend their entire lives trying to fulfill their fathers hopes and expectations. I would imagine playing on board two for your country while your son leads the team in the most prestigious National team competition in the World must have ticked that box well and truly!
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Aug '14 14:12
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Oh that is so terrible! The poor boy, what should have been a moment of family pride that would last for a lifetime is turned into a tragedy. At least his Dad got to see him achieve that great feat before he died. I hope he will see the silver lining eventually. Most men spend their entire lives trying to fulfill their fathers hopes and expectations. I w ...[text shortened]... ost prestigious National team competition in the World must have ticked that box well and truly!
    So who won?
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    22 Aug '14 16:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So who won?
    The opposing team offered draws on both boards.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree