Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    14 Apr '16 21:10
    It has begun !
  2. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Apr '16 05:15
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    It has begun !
    Somewhere in the USA I assume?
  3. 17 Apr '16 08:45
    The young man IM Chandra did well against Naka yesterday, ended in a fighting draw, but still, considering his opponent , he did pretty awesome.
  4. 17 Apr '16 08:47 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Somewhere in the USA I assume?
    Where is the centre for chess in the US of A, New York? nooooo, New Orleans? noooo, Phoenix Arizona? noooo, Saint Louis, yay! You can even get a pass and watch the games for a measly ten bucks! man you couldn't even buy a Kojak lolly pop in London for that!
  5. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    17 Apr '16 21:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Where is the centre for chess in the US of A, New York? nooooo, New Orleans? noooo, Phoenix Arizona? noooo, Saint Louis, yay! You can even get a pass and watch the games for a measly ten bucks! man you couldn't even buy a Kojak lolly pop in London for that!
    I have not yet had the chance to visit, but one of my friends actually bought a condo close by so he and his wife can visit more frequently. I have heard that it is an awesome place. Several of the top players have also moved there- it's a nice community, and the cost of living actually allows one to live.

    St Louis also has an excellent reputation in general (centrally located, gateway to the West,etc), so they may have found an ideal location.

    New Orleans made me laugh (although it would be a great place for the "after party"!), and the Phoenix reference made me laugh even more!
  6. 18 Apr '16 12:12
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I have not yet had the chance to visit, but one of my friends actually bought a condo close by so he and his wife can visit more frequently. I have heard that it is an awesome place. Several of the top players have also moved there- it's a nice community, and the cost of living actually allows one to live.

    St Louis also has an excellent reputation ...[text shortened]... uld be a great place for the "after party"!), and the Phoenix reference made me laugh even more!
    Yes from what i can gather the chess and scholastic centre is meant to be to be truly outstanding and if its an affordable place to go and visit then so much the better. 10 bucks for a day pass to watch the USA championship, its unbelievably good value. Caruana I think is now based there although I think he originally hails from Miami when a really young kid.

    I tell you something though young Akshat Chandra is nothing more than a phenomena. US chess has so many young and good prospects for the future.

    Yeah Arizona, it even sounds to me like the Outer Mongolia of the USA although its probably a wonderful place.
  7. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    19 Apr '16 11:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes from what i can gather the chess and scholastic centre is meant to be to be truly outstanding and if its an affordable place to go and visit then so much the better. 10 bucks for a day pass to watch the USA championship, its unbelievably good value. Caruana I think is now based there although I think he originally hails from Miami when a really ...[text shortened]... it even sounds to me like the Outer Mongolia of the USA although its probably a wonderful place.
    I wonder if these young bucks can learn enough say in 50 years, to beat the best comps, that is to say, play at a FIDE 3600 level or so, not inflated 3600 but REAL 3600 level.

    Wouldn't that be something, revenge of the nerds🙂

    BTW, did you ever go to my myspace thing?
  8. 25 Apr '16 07:39 / 1 edit
    Wow 12 year old Carissa Yip defeats US womens champion Irina Krush! The old fox Gata Kamsky outplayed the worlds number two Fabiano Caruana with the black pieces but faltered despite having a winning end game, but what great drama in this championship.
  9. 26 Apr '16 07:03
    wow what a great tournament, US Olympiad team are gonna be pretty strong
  10. Subscriber sundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    26 Apr '16 10:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    wow what a great tournament, US Olympiad team are gonna be pretty strong
    It will be, but Caruana may decide to play for Italy. BT, congrats to Fabiano for winning the US Championship,
  11. 26 Apr '16 11:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sundown316
    It will be, but Caruana may decide to play for Italy. BT, congrats to Fabiano for winning the US Championship,
    nah Carrywanna has switched federation he will play for the US, along with Naka, So and either Robson or Shankland
  12. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    26 Apr '16 21:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    nah Carrywanna has switched federation he will play for the US, along with Naka, So and either Robson or Shankland
    Robson was 4th. Onischuk was 5th Now Kasparov,Caruana,So & Nakamura play a sextuplet quad (18 games each)blitz (5min + 3 sec delay per move) for 50K
  13. 26 Apr '16 21:53
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Robson was 4th. Onischuk was 5th Now Kasparov,Caruana,So & Nakamura play a sextuplet quad (18 games each)blitz (5min + 3 sec delay per move) for 50K
    yes, I actually enjoyed the ladies section more than I did the men, there were outrageous blunders, tears of sadness, tears of joy, a 12 year old girl beating the current US ladies champion who live on air thanked her mom for washing her clothes, a half point which separated the top players. teenagers beating up on season tournament players , an advert from Monsanto which brought a deluge of criticism from the chess fans, man it had it all, its was just possibly the best tournament i have followed.