Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 11 Jul '08 19:46
    Is there a 50 move rule in RHP.

That's the one where if the opponent is left with a king, you have to checkmate him in less than 50 moves or it's a draw.

Does it start counting if the rest of his pawns are blocked and his only legal moves are with the king.
  2. Standard member Nowakowski
    10. O-O
    11 Jul '08 19:48
    the Draw can usually be called if its 50 moves with neither a capture nor pawn move. If this happens, it is a draw... i think their is a "claim draw" button for this purpose.
  3. 11 Jul '08 19:53
    So it's not a consenting draw. He can just claim it if it's been 50 moves?

And forgive my ignorance but if I move and then he moves does that count as a move or as two moves?

I'm playing a game against a much, much stronger player and I got lucky and got the advantage, now I'm worried I won't be able to close fast enough.
  4. Standard member JonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    11 Jul '08 19:57
    Originally posted by hany3
    So it's not a consenting draw. He can just claim it if it's been 50 moves?

And forgive my ignorance but if I move and then he moves does that count as a move or as two moves?

I'm playing a game against a much, much stronger player and I got lucky and got the advantage, now I'm worried I won't be able to close fast enough.
    a move by you then a move by him counts as one move.

Don't forget if a pawn moves or there's a capture the clock gets reset to 0 ... but yes, he needs to claim a draw and if it's a correct claim it's then a draw, i.e. he doesn't need you to agree.
  5. 11 Jul '08 20:02
    Thanks guys.
  6. Standard member eldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    12 Jul '08 20:55 / 1 edit
  7. 12 Jul '08 21:41 / 1 edit
    hany3.

Best to read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_move_rule

Because FIDE (not RHP rules) allow more
    than 50 moves for particular material imbalances.

Computers have found wins were once it was thought a draw was the
    outcome with best play.
  8. 14 Jul '08 23:17
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Because FIDE (not RHP rules) allow more than 50 moves for particular material imbalances.
    This is no longer true, according to your own source: "In 1992 the rule was changed back to fifty moves for all positions. Early on, the fifty move rule applied to tournament games but not to match games (Troitzky 2006:197)."