A good book on pawn structure

A good book on pawn structure

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
20 Jun 11

does anybody have any knowledge of a good book on the subject in hand?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
20 Jun 11

andrew soltis: pawn structure chess.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
20 Jun 11

Pawn Power in Chess Hans Kmoch

t

Moves
20 Jun 11

Originally posted by hintjul
Not to pry but I think a book on pawn structure would be a waste of your money... you're rating averages in the 1300s. It would be a bit beyond me so I assume(you being comparable to my strength) that it would be a bit beyond you also.

g

Moves
20 Jun 11

Originally posted by MontyMoose
Pawn Power in Chess Hans Kmoch
I have this book. It;s a bit of a chore. He invents his own terminology for a start, so it's another language to learn almost. I'm nearer 1800 strength if that's any guide.

rc

Moves
20 Jun 11

Originally posted by tomtom232
Not to pry but I think a book on pawn structure would be a waste of your money... you're rating averages in the 1300s. It would be a bit beyond me so I assume(you being comparable to my strength) that it would be a bit beyond you also.
not so, Silman in his book reassess your chess, or is it the amateurs mind, cant remember, makes the rather pertinent observation that a six year old girl is capable of learning and applying positional concepts. I have read most of Soltis pawn structure chess and if you are prepared to work through games and think about the themes it will do anyone good. The worst thing that people at our level do is play with their pawns when they should be playing with our pieces, if your pawn structure is sound, leave it alone!

rc

Moves
20 Jun 11

Originally posted by greenerpawn
I have this book. It;s a bit of a chore. He invents his own terminology for a start, so it's another language to learn almost. I'm nearer 1800 strength if that's any guide.
I have two of the damned things, gave up after chapter three or something, was just so uninspiring a book.

t

Moves
20 Jun 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
not so, Silman in his book reassess your chess, or is it the amateurs mind, cant remember, makes the rather pertinent observation that a six year old girl is capable of learning and applying positional concepts. I have read most of Soltis pawn structure chess and if you are prepared to work through games and think about the themes it will do anyone g ...[text shortened]... ns when they should be playing with our pieces, if your pawn structure is sound, leave it alone!
Well, Instead of ordering an endgame book(I canceled it because somebody ordered the last in stock just before I did) I ordered The Art of Attack In Chess and Modern Chess Strategy by Ludek Pachman

The second one has a section on "The Seven Uses of The Pawn" and this will no doubt be more than good enough for me.

rc

Moves
20 Jun 11

Originally posted by tomtom232
Well, Instead of ordering an endgame book(I canceled it because somebody ordered the last in stock just before I did) I ordered The Art of Attack In Chess and Modern Chess Strategy by Ludek Pachman

The second one has a section on "The Seven Uses of The Pawn" and this will no doubt be more than good enough for me.
thank goodness for that, that was quite fortunate, there's no way anyone could say that book would be enjoyable. Do you like Pachmans style of writing?

t

Moves
20 Jun 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
thank goodness for that, that was quite fortunate, there's no way anyone could say that book would be enjoyable. Do you like Pachmans style of writing?
Yeah so far it isn't bad but I'm going to work through Vukovic's book first I think.

h

Moves
20 Jun 11

thanks for your input guys.

rc

Moves
20 Jun 11

thanks for your input guys.
chessmaster has an excellent group of studies on pawn structure.

Moves
21 Jun 11

I recommend the following book on pawn structures, one of the few I've read from cover to cover.

The Middlegame - Book I : Static Features (Algebraic Edition) (Bk. 1) [Paperback]
Max Euwe (Author), H. Kramer (Author), Lou Hays (Editor)

Moves
23 Jun 11

There's never anything wrong with sipping in chess culture, but I also think that 'pawn structures' are no topic for a rather low rated player.

A Tactical puzzles book, endgame principles, understanding the openings you play all should come before.
Did I mention TACTICS TACTICS TACTICS.