1. Standard memberTimInIraq
    THAT GUY
    San Marcos, TX
    Moves
    01 Nov '08 18:54
    Okay soo about 3 years ago I discovered this site when I was very enthusiastic about chess. I had really just learned how to move the pieces but was willing to learn. I got better and was soon a strong 1450-1550 player respectfully. At least i thought so since it was in my first year I achieved that. After a little while though I honestly got bored and just wasnt into playing anymore. After going to college and joining the military and all that good stuff. I've recently seen the light again and am once again, squandering to learn again and achieve a personal goal of 2000+ rating. At least on this site and when I'm home in OTB tournaments. I haven't played consistently, studied or thought about chess pretty much whatsoever since almost 2 years ago but I find myself seeing more and I like to think playing much better, at least as far as I can see from my recent results, than I ever did before.

So my question is this: Why after 2 years can I possibly be playing better chess when I studied and tried to learn so much more before?

SIDE NOTE: If I had remembered my old email then i would've just started playing that account again but since I didnt, i had to create another account. I hope that isn't a big deal. I wasn't a subscriber before and it was 2 years ago.
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    01 Nov '08 18:571 edit
    Probably you are now better because all the previous efforts are catching you. And second, after long break of something (chess, playing musical instrument etc.) you return fresh, entusiastic, full of new ideas and you can actually perform better only because you enjoy what are you doing, without deep insights and analysis. It is possible that you will soon feel the drop though.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '08 19:091 edit
    Originally posted by TimInIraq
    Okay soo about 3 years ago I discovered this site when I was very enthusiastic about chess. I had really just learned how to move the pieces but was willing to learn. I got better and was soon a strong 1450-1550 player respectfully. At least i thought so since it was in my first year I achieved that. After a little while though I honestly got bored and jus ccount. I hope that isn't a big deal. I wasn't a subscriber before and it was 2 years ago.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree