A novel idea from Russia

A novel idea from Russia

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
09 Aug 19

It is now more than a decade since Russia’s almost unbroken 59-year monopoly of the world chess crown was ended, so Moscow is trying hard to develop new talents who can challenge Norway’s Magnus Carlsen. But its method is controversial, relying on older teenagers and players in their 20s rather than the prodigies who have emerged from other leading chess nations.

Will the tactic of supporting established masters be more successful than developing young talent?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jul/20/russia-unconventional-methods-grandmaster-hunt

m

Moves
09 Aug 19

Grumble, grumble... Tal was Latvian and Petrosian was Armenian (but born in Georgia).

Alekhine's Gun

🤔 Bolton

Moves
09 Aug 19

A least it's a try.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
09 Aug 19

@mynameisklint said
Grumble, grumble... Tal was Latvian and Petrosian was Armenian (but born in Georgia).
Now that we have that cleared up, will the tactic of supporting established masters be more successful than developing young talent?

is getting old...

Moves
09 Aug 19

A lot of young kids grow up and move on to other things.
Or they hit a wall when they get to the master level and quit like Josh Waitzkin 😉

So...wait and see if they have the talent AND will keep playing?
Instead of wasting money on them kids and then they quit because they like video games or girls and drugs lol.

It looks like a cost saving approach but I don't think it will propel Russia back into chess dominance.

mafia chief

the safe house

Moves
09 Aug 19

the chinese will become the dominant threat.

is getting old...

Moves
09 Aug 19

I agree.

mafia chief

the safe house

Moves
09 Aug 19
2 edits

@mister-moggy

not because they are chinese, because they work hard at it.

the chinese can outwork almost everyone given the tools and opportunity.

the japanese are a distant second.

mafia chief

the safe house

Moves
12 Aug 19

@mister-moggy

as i noted and is noted in the news on another chess site:

"Wei Yi Defeats Xiong In Armageddon To Win Junior Speed Chess Championship
PeterDoggers
|
9 hrs ago
On Saturday, Wei Yi defeated Jeffery Xiong in an armageddon tiebreak game to be crowned champion of the 2019 Junior Speed Chess Championship. The match had ended 13.5-13.5, and four more games in overtime also couldn't bring a decision. With the win, Wei claimed the first-place prize for the Junior Speed ".

E

Moves
12 Aug 19

@mister-moggy

Hard work only takes you so far. Innate ability must kick in as well. None of us are good enough to tell the difference between work and talent. So I suppose for us only time will tell.

Burn out is a huge issue too. People generally end up doing what they want to do and what they enjoy. Once the joy leaves, once again burn out.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
12 Aug 19

When I turned 11 I just got good -Bobby Fischer

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Aug 19
1 edit

@ketchuplover
But there are damn few Fischer's, Capablanca's, Reshevkys or Carlsen's who seem to have been born with master talent.