1. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 19:562 edits
    So last night I was playing against someone 41 ECF points higher than me. Black just played Rhd8. At first I felt a bit panicky that a recent cheeky d-pawn grab was backfiring spectacularly and my whole position was crumbling, but then! I realised I had a game "saving" move.

And I offered a draw seeing nothing more than a perpetual. My opponent accepted by saying something like, "I'd love a draw" and then proceeded to show me the simple winning line from that position. I had 20 minutes on the clock and at the very least had the draw in the bag. Add to that, that I'd already seen the "hard" move... Oh dear.

A very embarassing lesson learnt. I hope this helps someone else avoid the humiliation.
  2. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 20:071 edit
    I guess the other lesson is don't resign just because you see the position is lost! Sometimes I do that in a sad attempt to "save face."
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 20:33
    Originally posted by Meadows
    So last night I was playing against someone 41 ECF points higher than me. Black just played Rhd8. At first I felt a bit panicky that a recent cheeky d-pawn grab was backfiring spectacularly and my whole position was crumbling, but then! I realised I had a game "saving" move.

[pgn]
    [White "Meadows, M"]
    [Black "Humphreys, J"]
    [FEN "k1rr4/1p3pp1/p1b1p3/ ...[text shortened]... mbarassing lesson learnt. I hope this helps someone else avoid the humiliation.
    29.Qb6+ followed by 30.b4.

Easier to see it once you've been told there's a win!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree