Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    19 May '07 15:18
    Can white safely play 14.Qe5?

2. 19 May '07 16:35
    Originally posted by Wulebgr

[fen]r2qkb1r/1bp2p1p/p3pn2/1p3p1N/3P4/3BQN2/PPP2PPP/R3K2R w KQkq - 0 14[/fen]
    White's queen is in danger of being trapped after Qe5 Nxh5, Qxh8 Bxf3 (if ..Nf6, then Ng5 threatens Nxh7), gxf3 Nf6, Rg1 Qe7, but then Rg7! O-O-O, Rxh7 Nxh7, Qxh7 saves the queen, then ...Rxd4 and if O-O-O, then ...Rh4!
  3. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    20 May '07 23:46
    Originally posted by Regicidal
    White's queen is in danger of being trapped after Qe5 Nxh5, Qxh8 Bxf3 (if ..Nf6, then Ng5 threatens Nxh7), gxf3 Nf6, Rg1 Qe7 ...
    but Qxd4, instead of Qe7
  4. 21 May '07 00:15
    Originally posted by Wulebgr

[fen]r2qkb1r/1bp2p1p/p3pn2/1p3p1N/3P4/3BQN2/PPP2PPP/R3K2R w KQkq - 0 14[/fen]
    The only "quandry" is your spelling of quandary: if you doubt it www.dictionary.com it!
  5. 21 May '07 00:39
    Originally posted by demonseed
    The only "quandry" is your spelling of quandary: if you doubt it www.dictionary.com it!
    Why dictionary.com it? When you spell quandry it underlines red. Right click and it shows you the correct spelling. However I don't think topic names have spell check
  6. 21 May '07 01:24
    Originally posted by hamltnblue
    Why dictionary.com it? When you spell quandry it underlines red. Right click and it shows you the correct spelling. However I don't think topic names have spell check
    I don't have spell check on my posts.
  7. Subscriber C J Horse
    A stable personality
    21 May '07 07:35
    What if you don't doubt it? You're still wrong but you wouldn't find out. Does it really matter in this forum?
  8. 21 May '07 11:07
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    What if you don't doubt it? You're still wrong but you wouldn't find out. Does it really matter in this forum?
    I am not wrong since all I have done is offer advice to a poster to assist their spelling.
  9. Subscriber C J Horse
    A stable personality
    21 May '07 12:06
    I am not wrong since all I have done is offer advice to a poster to assist their spelling.
    I didn't mean that you are wrong. I meant that the person who mis-spells a word will not check it if they think that their (incorrect) spelling is, in fact, correct.
  10. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    21 May '07 12:32
    It was a typo; I meant to right lawndrie.
  11. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    21 May '07 13:04
    What does your engine suggest for white?

12. Standard member Monty348
    Chess Disciple
    22 May '07 04:32
    You can spell it however you like Wule. I and anyone with a little common sense knew what you meant.

I think it was Mark Twain who once said "I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way!"
  13. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    22 May '07 13:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Monty348
    You can spell it however you like Wule. I and anyone with a little common sense knew what you meant.

I think it was Mark Twain who once said "I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way!"
    Someone else said the chickens come home to roost, and I've corrected spelling for lots of others here, even Bowmann, so I'm getting what I deserve. It was a terrible oversight on my part, and the spelling police ran me in.

As for the position, my engine likes 14.Qe5, but Alex Finkel gives the move ?? and writes, "Quiet amazing blunder for a player of such a level. It's rare occasion when after just 15 moves white gets lost position!" (ChessBase Magazine 115)