1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 20:151 edit
    Yes! In case you missed the 2700 elo thread I have found even more newly released computers;

> Pewatronic

http://www.pewatronic.com/english/

Where one can buy a wood version of the Saitek Master with an excellent set for Eur 875 and another model for Eur 750. They look very nice, a Swiss firm.

> Aristotle 2700 elo computer - Not to be confused with a smartphone.

http://www.chessbaron.co.uk/chess-CM2028.htm

Available from chessbaron. If they put a few games up it might help sell it. I'd like to see it beat one of the better standard computers. If its really that strong it should crunch them. Bargain at £80, Novag had a £200 pocket computer a while back that was c2180 elo.

I could so see the market for these I wish I was selling them. The wooden set, the Saiteks are good club level opponents, it almost deserves a wooden board. And a mobile phone with the annoying phone part removed should play at around 2600-2700 elo, these old computers are running on chips from the 80s. Its cool to have a computer that really tells you the 'rightness' of a position and a screen!

Here's a list of almost all the chess computers ever made, including the really good ones from the 80s n 90s no longer in production, they go up to c2400. The new 'Aristotle' would be the strongest on the list.

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/index.php/Wiki-Elo-Liste
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 20:19
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Yes! In case you missed the 2700 elo thread I have found even more newly released computers;

> Pewatronic

http://www.pewatronic.com/english/

Where one can buy a wood version of the Saitek Master with an excellent set for Eur 875 and another model for Eur 750. They look very nice, a Swiss firm.

> Aristotle 2700 elo computer - Not to be confused wi ...[text shortened]... d be the strongest on the list.

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/index.php/Wiki-Elo-Liste
    I think most people will just get apps for the smartphones they already have. 😛 Why buy a dedicated chess device when you can have one that does everything?
  3. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 20:31
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I think most people will just get apps for the smartphones they already have. 😛 Why buy a dedicated chess device when you can have one that does everything?
    A smartphone without the phone works, you have ipods like that. And a chess board with a built in computer to show you good moves? you'd think that was around? 🙂 but there isn't one above 2300 elo yet, other then a DGT board, and the sets the Swiss firm are selling are much nicer DGT are very plain I think.
  4. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 20:38
    Have you found a smartphone app that's good enough? It must be hard making a good chess app.
  5. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 20:41
    A smartphone without the phone works, you have ipods like that. And a chess board with a built in computer to show you good moves? you'd think that was around? 🙂 but there isn't one above 2300 elo yet, other then a DGT board, and the sets the Swiss firm are selling are much nicer DGT are very plain I think.
    Best Chessmen Ever has beautiful sets that are DGT compatible.

http://bestchessmenever.com/western/

I am contemplating the BCE Western Stage 2 natural if anyone wants to send me a holiday gift.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 20:59
    Have you found a smartphone app that's good enough? It must be hard making a good chess app.
    I imagine they could (and probably have) port over a desktop app - my phone has a 1.9GHz dual-core processor, and that's enough hardware power to crush the likes of me. I'd look harder for it, but for some reason getting my arse kicked by a 2500+ comp just isn't fun anymore. 🙂
  7. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 21:179 edits
    I imagine they could (and probably have) port over a desktop app - my phone has a 1.9GHz dual-core processor, and that's enough hardware power to crush the likes of me. I'd look harder for it, but for some reason getting my arse kicked by a 2500+ comp just isn't fun anymore. 🙂
    I only know of 2 serious phone apps, pocket fritz and hiarcs. I'm not aware of any other strong PC engines being converted. Unless a lot of work; engine, book, playability went into an app I doubt it would be much good.

Your phone should play better then any GM with the correct program but there's only 2 I know of right now. I think computers should be playable and very accurate on there upper levels, no dedicated computers are. Chess engines can be but I have one and agree its dull being beaten by them.
  8. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 21:41
    Originally posted by byedidia
    Best Chessmen Ever has beautiful sets that are DGT compatible.

http://bestchessmenever.com/western/

I am contemplating the BCE Western Stage 2 natural if anyone wants to send me a holiday gift.
    Very nice, quite stylish. Just looked at the DGT boards and there are a few nice sets.
  9. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 22:061 edit
    There is a gap in the market still I think for an alternative to the ChessMaster series, that was a program I could play against like a person, had lots of 'personalities' and an Engine that was very strong and could be set up to play various styles.

I see cheap computers with different playing styles coded in and I want one because a regular computer gets dull after a while and beatable as it doesn't change style. Am tempted to buy that Aristotle, if someone can post smartphone + app for less then £100 to beat it might re consider 🙂
  10. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 22:08
    I only know of 2 serious phone apps, pocket fritz and hiarcs. I'm not aware of any other strong PC engines being converted. Unless a lot of work; engine, book, playability went into an app I doubt it would be much good.

Your phone should play better then any GM with the correct program but there's only 2 I know of right now. I think computers should be pl ...[text shortened]... ated computers are. Chess engines can be but I have one and agree its dull being beaten by them.
    I have Shredder on my Android (tablet, but I presume it works on phones as well). Easily strong enough to beat me without breaking a sweat, so I don't know how high it's rating could go. It has a mode where it will match its rating to its opponents, which makes for a more fun game than being trounced every time. Also has a nice UI and tactics training problems.

Anyway. It's not free (5 GBP or so), but for the use I've had out of it it's been worth it.
  11. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 23:47
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    I have Shredder on my Android (tablet, but I presume it works on phones as well). Easily strong enough to beat me without breaking a sweat, so I don't know how high it's rating could go. It has a mode where it will match its rating to its opponents, which makes for a more fun game than being trounced every time. Also has a nice UI and tactics training prob ...[text shortened]... .

Anyway. It's not free (5 GBP or so), but for the use I've had out of it it's been worth it.
    That sounds quite good does it have many ways to make it easier to play? I've got fritz 11 and its rubbish to play against, the options to tone it down are the same as an old computer but the old ones easier to work and has a more human level of skill.

I think any computer is a bit like buying a chess player - a single one, my Saitek is average, badly coordinated even in quiet or closed games but its management of material is superb and it plays sequences staying 5 points down for 5 moves or so few masters would have the nerve to do. I think some of these progs deserve more games listed to show them off. But its pretty boring after a while having one playing style that always wins.
  12. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 00:071 edit
    [White "David Bronstein"]
    [Black "M20 (Computer)"]
    [EventDate "1963.04.04"]

Beware the super computer 😲

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree