1. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 20:44
    I’ve been to maybe 40 weekend congresses and have never encountered anything from an opponent that might be construed as offensive behaviour. That said, I have seen it once when heated words were exchanged on a nearby board.

Closest to an argument OTB was when I was paired against this Iraqi fellow during Glasgow 2001(I think). I said something that was unintentionally racist and cringed as soon as I said it. Luckily, the guy was intelligent enough to know my comment was a mistake. He soundly beat me(on the board).
  2. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 21:02
    >The worst I've ever seen was not at my board, but a player in another part of the room who was furious at losing, to someone he felt he should beat with ease, had a novel way of resigning. He stood up from the board, unzipped his pants, took it out, and urinated on the board.
    >He was immediately expelled from the tournament by the arbiter and reported to the chess federation, who I think expelled him too.
  3. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 21:05
    Yes, but unlike many on this site. I truly believe YOU could batter him silly, streetfighter
  4. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 21:29
    Thanks for all the support guys! It's comforting in some sense to hear other people have similar experiences.

I didn't think it would be wise to descend to violence or anything similar since I'd be in similar post-tournament trouble as this fellow (I was assured the book would be metaphorically thrown at him). As the guys in the Open somewhat cheekily suggested, I just had to keep the notation up until I reached the 50 moves (or I guess more likely a 3-fold repetition), plus it kept them giggling.

It must be said however, that everyone else I've met in chess (including at this congress) are very pleasant people and it was a very enjoyable weekend.
  5. e4
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 21:53
    The worse thing that happened to me was...

I was in time trouble, suddenly my opponent pulled out a knife
    and stabbed it through my hand pinning it to the table.

As I was struggling to pull out the knife my flag fell.
    But I was losing anyway so the joke was on him.

SF. I wonder, would you have mugged him in the toilets if he had
    been reading a copy your book. 😉
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 23:11
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

I've never played OTB competitions, sounds like fun!!

I was being faceious earlier. Although if i was playing OTB and someone told me to F off when i offered a draw, i would politely remind them that they shouldn't speak like that to me again. Chances are they wouldn't though, i'm a big guy with a shaved head and often wear a hoody. I am what the Daily Mail readers fear most.

The guy who urinated on the the board would definitley be punched and i would personally throw him out the venue, and maybe throw his shoes and trousers onto a nearby roof. He won't do it again.
  7. USA
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 23:14
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    >The worst I've ever seen was not at my board, but a player in another part of the room who was furious at losing, to someone he felt he should beat with ease, had a novel way of resigning. He stood up from the board, unzipped his pants, took it out, and urinated on the board.
    >He was immediately expelled from the tournament by the arbiter and reported to the chess federation, who I think expelled him too.
    Another "bathroom controversy" strikes again in chess, albeit in a much different manner than in 2006!
  8. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 07:09

Absolutely. Just because he has good taste in reading material doesn't mean he can be offensive and get away with it : P

Anyway, if he'd read my book he would know that I advocate a philosophical approach to chess which should prevent him from getting irate in the first place : )

Also, I'm 40 now and try to avoid unseemly fisticuffs - I don't want to be known as the George Foreman of the chess world!!
  9. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 16:34
    How about the Mike Tyson?
  10. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 20:02
    Originally posted by tamuzi
    How about the Mike Tyson?
    Too many negative connotations there. The Marvin Hagler of chess would be better. (Although maybe someone will tell me Hagler used small rabbits as punchbags or something equally bad!)
  11. e4
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 20:24
    Originally posted by streetfighter
    Absolutely. Just because he has good taste in reading material doesn't mean he can be offensive and get away with it : P

Anyway, if he'd read my book he would know that I advocate a philosophical approach to chess which should prevent him from getting irate in the first place : )

Also, I'm 40 now and try to avoid unseemly fisticuffs - I don't want to be known as the George Foreman of the chess world!!
    40.....My Auntie's Ass.

I remember playing you in '79 you were 40 then.😉

You plying your trade the Edinburgh Congress this weekend?

I'll be doing the 'Cheapo/Swindle' prize but not playing.
  12. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 20:32
    40.....My Auntie's Ass.

I remember playing you in '79 you were 40 then.😉

You plying your trade the Edinburgh Congress this weekend?

I'll be doing the 'Cheapo/Swindle' prize but not playing.
    Hehehehe, I've just had a hard paper round : )

Yup, I'll be playing Edinburgh - taking the bye on Friday night though.

Hopefully I'll play a bit better than I have recently; I've been responsible for some horrendous chess recently, mostly of the '5 different plans in 5 moves' variety. Think I'd rather just blunder a piece sometimes!

See you at the weekend - looking forward to taking the swindle prize! Wish they'd had one last week at the 4NCL! I'll try to post it if I remember how 😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree