1. Joined
    29 Aug '03
    Moves
    19 Nov '03 14:452 edits
    After beating Atash for the second time in a closely-fought game (no. 318595), he accused me of cheating and claimed that my rating was too low.

Can anyone explain what he meant? Why would I have a low rating if I was cheating? Is he just a sore loser?
  2. Joined
    04 Nov '02
    Moves
    19 Nov '03 15:45
    your opponent is rude. you're playing a game of chess. spend no more time dwelling on this.
    SNL
  3. Standard membermike block
    QuickBooks Xero CPA
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Moves
    20 Nov '03 05:45
    I played someone else whose rating seemed much too low. He said this was because he lost in tournaments. I congratulated him, but decided not to keep losing after 3 times.

It takes all kinds, but you cannot cheat in this type of chess. Of course, as we see in other threads, you can hype or lower your rating by playing yourself or a shill. However, that is far too stupid for almost all of us. The best part of playing is real competition and learning. It is no fun to beat up on weak players, much less yourself.
  4. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    20 Nov '03 20:08
    Originally posted by mike block
    I played someone else whose rating seemed much too low. He said this was because he lost in tournaments. I congratulated him, but decided not to keep losing after 3 times.

It takes all kinds, but you cannot cheat in this type of chess. Of course, as we see in other threads, you can hype or lower your rating by playing yourself or a shill. However, tha ...[text shortened]... is real competition and learning. It is no fun to beat up on weak players, much less yourself.
    Cannot cheat in this type of chess!???
    Wanna play my Fritz? 😉 There is always a way to cheat. 🙁
  5. Finland
    Moves
    21 Nov '03 02:44
    I'm not sure, but I thought that by "you cannot cheat in this type of chess" he meant that even if you can 'do ugly stuff' to win games, you don't gain anything real (real like learning, pleasure, money) but only rating points that matter nothing. So this cheating isn't truly cheating but plainly stupid. mike block, please correct me if this has nothing to do with what you meant in your post.
  6. Standard memberMarlone56
    Pare Enteng
    San Fernando City LU
    Moves
    21 Nov '03 05:43
    Can anyone explain what he meant? Why would I have a low rating if I was cheating? Is he just a sore loser?[/b]
    See also General Discussions Thead: Root Out Bad Vegetables, Oct 29, 2003. It might give an additonal glimpse.
  7. Nottingham UK
    Moves
    01 Dec '03 10:07
    Don't dwell on it Just concentrate on your next opponent 🙂 Yours jJhn
  8. Standard membercpkid6107
    the challanger
    nebraka
    Moves
    01 Dec '03 21:48
    the more you relize it your not playing for money or glory like someone said but you are playing for yourself so if they do want to cheat let them lol i dont know why you would waste you time cheating in chess when you could be out having a life or plainly getting better
  9. Joined
    02 Dec '01
    Moves
    05 Dec '03 15:28
    Originally posted by cpkid6107
    the more you relize it your not playing for money or glory like someone said but you are playing for yourself so if they do want to cheat let them lol i dont know why you would waste you time cheating in chess when you could be out having a life or plainly getting better
    Hi! I second that to the full! In fact, what I think is: in the first place The Cheater is cheating him/herself. Where's the pleasure of PLAYING chess then? Just let them do if that makes them happy. However, I don't think there are many cheaters. Most chessplayers play chess for the beauty and intricacy of our Royal Game.

Cheerio!

Jan
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '03 12:47
    Originally posted by Jan Pot, Antwerpe (Belgiu
    Hi! I second that to the full! In fact, what I think is: in the first place The Cheater is cheating him/herself. Where's the pleasure of PLAYING chess then? Just let them do if that makes them happy. However, I don't think there are many cheaters. Most chessplayers play chess for the beauty and intricacy of our Royal Game.

Cheerio!

Jan
    Is there really any way to cheat in this game aside from using a program to think for you?

That doesn't even cheat your opponent! It just provides him with a better game than he'd get from playing someone who has to cheat to win in the first place.
  11. Standard membercpkid6107
    the challanger
    nebraka
    Moves
    08 Dec '03 23:11
    well if you look at it that way then no there is no way to cheat but then say that you are in a tourniment and everyone is ranked between 1300 and 1500 and you are too but you want to win the prize so you use chess master and you win big time..is this not cheating expesialy if you win something like the birds cd??
  12. Herts,England
    Moves
    20 Dec '03 05:19
    May I suggest that you pump him for more info so you get his angle
  13. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 14:09
    Originally posted by EddieT
    Is there really any way to cheat in this game aside from using a program to think for you?

That doesn't even cheat your opponent! It just provides him with a better game than he'd get from playing someone who has to cheat to win in the first place.
    How ironic
  14. Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 14:42
    Originally posted by EddieT

Damn cheater.

I'm always wary of people who say things like eddiet.

I honestly dont mind losing. However thinking that my opponent is using an engine is frustrating.

People who say BIG DEAL IF THEY ARE are bothersome.
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 16:42
    Originally posted by cpkid6107
    well if you look at it that way then no there is no way to cheat but then say that you are in a tourniment and everyone is ranked between 1300 and 1500 and you are too but you want to win the prize so you use chess master and you win big time..is this not cheating expesialy if you win something like the birds cd??
    "is this not cheating"? I would call it fraud.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree