1. USA
    Moves
    13 Jul '06 19:32
    Have any of you guys read The Chess Exam: Rate yourself and learn how to improve by Igor Khmelnitsky? If so, how accurate were your rating results. Im curious, because the first time I took it (I;m in the process of taking it a second time) It said my rating was 974 (my rating was 1097 at the time), and all my individual aspects were below my real rating. After about 2-3 months of intensive chess training, I've done 20 questions. My first interim report says 1220 (my current rating is 1204 USCF). Last time I got 1050 or something. But on the second interim report, it said my rating was 1817 (Last time it was like 1300 or something)! This has made me question how accurate it really is.

Please post your results and what your real rating is, so I can compare the accuracy.
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '06 20:50
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Have any of you guys read The Chess Exam: Rate yourself and learn how to improve by Igor Khmelnitsky? If so, how accurate were your rating results. Im curious, because the first time I took it (I;m in the process of taking it a second time) It said my rating was 974 (my rating was 1097 at the time), and all my individual aspects were below my re ...[text shortened]... y is.

Please post your results and what your real rating is, so I can compare the accuracy.
    I'm just about to start with that book,literally,I have it right next to me 🙂

Your USCF rating is determined by the pool of players you meet.No idea how the book determines your rating but I very much doubt it can accurately mimic that pool.It will always be somewhat off.
    Doesn't matter really.The exam is meant to detect holes in your chessknowledge so you can optimise your study efforts.
  3. USA
    Moves
    13 Jul '06 21:01
    Originally posted by Gorgar
    I'm just about to start with that book,literally,I have it right next to me 🙂

Your USCF rating is determined by the pool of players you meet.No idea how the book determines your rating but I very much doubt it can accurately mimic that pool.It will always be somewhat off.
    Doesn't matter really.The exam is meant to detect holes in your chessknowledge so you can optimise your study efforts.
    Yeah your right. However, the problem is that there wasn't much range. Most of my things ranged between 940 and 990, and it claims my overall rating is 974, meaning that it says I am "well rounded". Not to helpful in what my weaknesses are. The only outlier in my thing was tactics at 1060.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    13 Jul '06 21:39
    I don't believe any of those test. It fun to do them and see how many you can get right but assigning ratings from that isn't right.

I've did online test, Yasser Seirwan's test from his book and other book tests. All the numbers are way off.

Solving puzzles and tests at home is not the same as do them during real play with a big audience watching your every move, your opponent kicking you under the chair, people breating on you, with the clock going tick tock etc...
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '06 21:44
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I don't believe any of those test. It fun to do them and see how many you can get right but assigning ratings from that isn't right.

I've did online test, Yasser Seirwan's test from his book and other book tests. All the numbers are way off.

Solving puzzles and tests at home is not the same as do them during real play with a big audience watching your ...[text shortened]... t kicking you under the chair, people breating on you, with the clock going tick tock etc...
    Exactly!
    But the book isn't there just to give you a rating.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 11:49
    Keep taking that test over and over, eventually you'll be a GM.
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 12:22
    Originally posted by lebowski
    Keep taking that test over and over, eventually you'll be a GM.
    Hehe,that's gonna take a while.I'm at the 2nd interim report and I'm scoring in the lower half of all the players who took this test.
    Rated in the 1400-1800 range first interim and in the 1000 range at the 2nd 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree