1. Joined
    30 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 15:59
    Do you think chess playing style change when you grew older … I mean the age effects … like you play classic slow openings, less aggressive moves, more defensive, etc … the kind of games most younger dods sees as boring … huh?
  2. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 17:11
    Originally posted by BSpider
    Do you think chess playing style change when you grew older … I mean the age effects … like you play classic slow openings, less aggressive moves, more defensive, etc … the kind of games most younger dods sees as boring … huh?
    My style has actually become more aggressive over the years.
    But I'm sure I'm the exeption proving the rule.
  3. USA
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 22:531 edit
    Well, throughout my chess career, I think I've stayed about the same, but then again, I would not qualify as old, and my formal chess career has only been 4 years long so...
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 23:42
    As I've gotten older, I'm not as tactically alert as I used to be, but I'm better positionally and at endgames. This leads naturally to not playing quite as aggressively as when I was younger, but it hasn't been really conscious, nor extreme.
  5. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 03:55
    Originally posted by Erekose
    As I've gotten older, I'm not as tactically alert as I used to be, but I'm better positionally and at endgames. This leads naturally to not playing quite as aggressively as when I was younger, but it hasn't been really conscious, nor extreme.
    I'm still young, and I feel like positional analysis is my strongsuit, whereas my tactics are weaker. I wonder if they'll flip-flop as I get older?

-GIN
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 11:52
    I think that as your positional understanding 'matures', you tend to play less aggressively (relative to yourself) in the tactical sense. as it usually means making positional concessions. in a positional sense you're still playing aggressively though, it's just not so easily visible as flashy tactics. but it's just as deadly, and maybe even more so.

and as chess takes a long time to learn, decades, you're usually gonna be relatively old to hit that point.
  7. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 14:521 edit
    http://www.jstor.org/stable/2982450?&Search=yes&term=
    Chess&list=hide&searchUri=%2Faction%2FdoBasicSearch%3
    FQuery%3DChess%26gw%3Djtx%26prq%3D
    Deliberate%2BPractice%2Bin%2BChess%2B
    Expertise%26hp%3D25%26wc%3Doff&item=8&ttl=17515&returnArticleService=showArticle

That is 1 link, string it all together and copy / paste. Good study for this subject.
  8. Joined
    23 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 15:41
    This is a great issue. I've not played chess in 35 years. I started to play again several months ago. I know that now I have a better insight into the game. My game has been improved dramatically. Now I look at the game as a set of fragile connections among elements. I see the interdependency of the pieces and the ways to augment them as a defender and how to break them while playing offense. I can better calculate my own risk, and learn the intentions of my opponents. I can work 3 - 4 moves ahead. I'm a retired computer programmer and my life experience plus learning from the masters of the game will make my play better and better.
  9. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 17:29
    For me = definitely.

I'm 40 now. In my younger days i didn't use to have to try to memorise any opening theory - it just kind of stuck with one glance at a chess book. Not I can barely retain anything new at all. One consequence - I tend to avoid lengthy book lines.

Another change - I used to like very forcing variations but now prefer a less sharp struggle.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree