1. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 15:42
    The alapin is a response to the sicilian. 1.e4 c5 2.c3 I have been in the habit of playing this opening this summer, and recently as I was organizing my games by opening I was shocked and pleased to find that my record against this opening through this summer is 8-1-1. I was very excited until I looked at all the games and realized that the toughest line against it, 2... Nf6 was only played against me twice, one time resulting in my one loss and the other I should have lost and only won through endgame play.

So, on to my point. If anyone plays the sicilian and plays against me, please play 2... Nf6 as I want to find out how I fare against this line and how I feel about the positions that arise. Also, any intelligent opinions on this opening would be gratefully recieved.
  2. Coventry
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 15:56
    I played this for a while OTB a few years ago but didn't like the isolated pawn that usually resulted.
  3. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 16:13
    Originally posted by Stives
    I played this for a while OTB a few years ago but didn't like the isolated pawn that usually resulted.
    Isolated pawn in the 2... Nf6 line? Or usually in all the lines you played?
  4. Joined
    22 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 03:36
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    The alapin is a response to the sicilian. 1.e4 c5 2.c3 I have been in the habit of playing this opening this summer, and recently as I was organizing my games by opening I was shocked and pleased to find that my record against this opening through this summer is 8-1-1. I was very excited until I looked at all the games and realized that the toughest l ...[text shortened]... sitions that arise. Also, any intelligent opinions on this opening would be gratefully recieved.
    I have played 2 tournament games as white where my opponent played the sicillian, in both I played the alapin without any knowledge of the opening and in both they play nf6, I won 1 and had to accept a draw because I had 41 seconds to promote 2 pawns with a king stopping them from rushing. So to me I think nf6 is losing. I think d5 is a better response. Funnily enough I recently looked up the alapin in the chessmaster 9000 opening books and found I was playing outside of the book with my response to nf6: d3!?
  5. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 03:50
    2...Nf6, and then 2...d5 appear to be the two strongest and common responses.

An introduction to a few ideas in the opening (plus an annotated Adams-Huebner game):

http://www.chessplayer.com/alapin2c.htm

Isolated d-pawn position:
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1070874

Opening is well-played in this super-GM game:
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1070670

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree