1. e4
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 19:27
    About I lifted the lid off this scam.

We have all been fooled for the past 20 odd years.

Join me on the barricades men...

http://www.chessville.com/GC/All_opening_books_are_a_ripoff.htm
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 19:33
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

i think you and i had an argument on this the very first time you came on the site, i was talking about an opening being organic, you said it was rubbish, i think the truth is to be found somewhere in between. i did actually read the article you are refering to as i get it as a newsletter delivered into my email, if you want to joust about the merits or otherwise, then as we say in Glasgow, 'come ahead!' 😛
  3. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 19:361 edit

I used to play Ivanchuk in an off-Broadway production back in 2003, the props department even let me keep the eyebrow(s)!
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 19:49

Great, in one fell swoop you've managed to alienate 80% of all the chess book writers (maybe not a bad thing?).

By the way, that book "Win with this Opening You Mug" looks interesting, where can I get it? I'm not sure what opening it is, but I'm sure it's gotta be a good one!
  5. c6
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 20:11
    Satire aside, in my limited chess experience, they really are mostly rip-offs.

I'd like to see more books in the style of Uhlmann's "Winning With the French", where we learn the opening *solely* through studying GM games, and where the focus is on principle over move-order. I've experimented with reading one or two cookbook-style opening manuals, and always feel that I've wasted my study time. But when I walk along with GMs in annotated games, I really feel like I'm getting the hang of the system.

If anyone knows of any such texts besides the one by Uhlmann, I'd love to hear a recommendation. Particularly, I'm interested in a collection of Caro-Kann games.
  6. e4
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 20:47
    Hi Mad Rook

"Great, in one fell swoop you've managed to alienate 80% of all the
    chess book writers (maybe not a bad thing?)."

How can I upset 80% of one person?

That is the con. There is only one writer of these books.
    He writes under all these different names to boost the scam.

He deliberatley writes a load of crap naff to keep us bad so he can keep on
    selling us these books.
  7. e4
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 23:02
    Saw this game posted on another site.

I would love to have seen White's face when he played 30.bxa7 and
    again when Black played 35....Ra5.

This is good.

8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 02:08
    Originally posted by EinZweiDrei
    Satire aside, in my limited chess experience, they really are mostly rip-offs.

I'd like to see more books in the style of Uhlmann's "Winning With the French", where we learn the opening *solely* through studying GM games, and where the focus is on principle over move-order. I've experimented with reading one or two cookbook-style opening manuals, and ...[text shortened]... hear a recommendation. Particularly, I'm interested in a collection of Caro-Kann games.
    I read his book, even though I have no plans to ever play the French, simply because it was a chance to have a world class player annotate his own games in an opening where he was an acknowledged expert.

GM Joe Gallagher is another great read- if you read one of his King's Gambit or King's Indian Defense books, you're going to get a lot of his own games. Even better, he tells you what he was thinking before the game, what he thought during the game, and then what he analyzed after the game. Those insights are as valuable to me as the analysis.

Lately, the best book like that which I have read is Tiger's Modern, by Tiger Hillarp Persson.

It is a fabulous read, and if GP got hold of a copy, I bet he would read through the whole thing in one sitting, and then claim that it isn't an opening book in the normal sense, so it doesn't count! (And I think he would have a point!)

Paul
  9. e4
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 09:09
    Now him I have meet. Tiger Hillarp Persson.

Oddly enough he does not have a black wet nose and a stripey face.
    So right away I'm thinking this guy is an imposter, an actor paid by
    the publishing company to give these books an air of authenticity.

The book goes to great lengths to keep us from looking at 1.e4 g6 2.h4!
    Which mates Black in 22 moves.

Infact 1.e4 mates every defence in under 25 moves but if this was more
    well know then you lot would stop buying the opening books and the
    worlds economy would collapse.
  10. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 09:33
    I just got that book in last month. The size vs price was a little upsetting. It is by far the shabbiest quality chess book that I have come across. Play a6 every chance you get! I get it already. 🙂
    In all fairness, I did like his commentary of the games I played through. I don't think he proves that the Modern is sound (an impossible task), but he does give some good examples of how black can really make a fight of it.
  11. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 15:09
    Opening books might be a rip off, but I likes book openings.
  12. timed out again
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 17:06
    Sounds like this stuff http://www.chestersestate.com/images/Scottish-Borders-Brewery.jpg is doing "the work" 😀
  13. gumtree
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 17:11
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I just got that book in last month. The size vs price was a little upsetting. It is by far the shabbiest quality chess book that I have come across. Play a6 every chance you get! I get it already. 🙂
    In all fairness, I did like his commentary of the games I played through. I don't think he proves that the Modern is sound (an impossible task), but he does give some good examples of how black can really make a fight of it.
    Have a look at Nigel Davies' effort on the Modern. Play a6, even where Tiger says you shouldn't but not necessarily where he says you should. Confused? Good, now look at some games from Duncan Suttles, that's how to play the Modern, or the Rat as it should be properly called.

Books my arse, look at the games!
  14. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 11:54
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    Have a look at Nigel Davies' effort on the Modern. Play a6, even where Tiger says you shouldn't but not necessarily where he says you should. Confused? Good, now look at some games from Duncan Suttles, that's how to play the Modern, or the Rat as it should be properly called.

Books my arse, look at the games!
    I know about Duncan. I have all 3 volumes of Chess On The Edge. It's some really good stuff.

By the way, I really liked this game of yours in the Modern:

Game 7299953

Nice Stuff !

14. ... Bc6 was something I couldn't have come up with. I guess the idea was Qb8 and Qb7?

Anyway, well played !
  15. gumtree
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 12:55
    I definitely wanted to keep the bishop on the a8-h1 diagonal and liked the idea of the queen on b7 to add firepower down that diagonal. The queen did end up on b7 eventually but the bishop had gone by then. Still, it worked. White got a wrecked kingside and my queen glaring down the diagonal at his king.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree