1. Joined
    07 May '07
    Moves
    16 May '07 07:27
    Hi,

I am almost decided on getting the Personal Chess Trainer software. I tried out the trial version. But still I am not sure because the trial version only gives you the first five units of each. I realize this chess software has its limitations and it may not solve all my problems.

I am thinking of getting the software because it seems like the closest thing to what I am looking for. It seems to have direction for checkmates like king and queen vs king and rook, I realize it may need to possibly read a book like Secrets of Pawnless Endings or Basic Chess Endings to supplement to master this ending. It has openings, strategy, tactics, and endgame training and drills. It appeals to me because you get all in one software and I realize there are other specialized software that may give you more in terms of endings but in terms of ending I am kind of like a beginner.

This software seems to be less than other types of training software. I have seen ones that cost close to a hundred dollars and more like Chess Mentor and Chess Academy.

I was wondering if anyone here has done just about everything with Personal Chess Trainer and if it made a difference in your overall game. I am wondering if it can really help with learning the king and queen vs king and rook ending, to the point I can end up beating CHessmaster 9000 and the toolbox at www.chessmagnetschool.com? I wonder if it trains on bishop and knight ending?

With the CD-ROM it is a $70 investment.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Parag
  2. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 May '07 10:321 edit
    i have PCT. The tactics session appears to just be checkmates, although i am still on module 1. It looks like you just get longer checkmates as you go further into the programme. The same lessons are repeated dozens of times to reinforce the mating patterns which i quite like.
    What i don't like is that in a lot of the mates the responses aren't forced so you assume the opponent will comply with your mating pattern.
    I have had a brief look at the strategy and engames sections and if you are after detailed lessons then you willbe very disappointed as there is very little text, just exercises in moving pieces to the right squares, with some cursory words in the strategy sections (eg, "white dominates the open file" ).
    I don't like the strategy and endgame modules, chessbases endgame dvds with Karsten Muller are far superior and would recommend those for endgame lessons.
  3. Joined
    07 May '07
    Moves
    17 May '07 02:09
    Pawnchop,

DO you have the previos version or do you have the 2007 version? I think the 2007 version is also called 3.02. From looking at the trial version, the difference seems to be that 2007 has commentary endgames and has an opening section.

I would probably buy Mueller's DVD. Now I have a standalone DVD player but not atttached to my computer. I heard with some of these Chess DVDs you have to have Fritz. I have Fritz 8. I dont have a DVD ROM or writer in my computer. I hear Mueller is good.

Parag
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    17 May '07 13:08
    Originally posted by paragshah36
    Pawnchop,

DO you have the previos version or do you have the 2007 version? I think the 2007 version is also called 3.02. From looking at the trial version, the difference seems to be that 2007 has commentary endgames and has an opening section.

I would probably buy Mueller's DVD. Now I have a standalone DVD player but not atttached to my compu ...[text shortened]... Fritz 8. I dont have a DVD ROM or writer in my computer. I hear Mueller is good.

Parag
    I haven't seen PCT 3, but the 'learning philosophy' of PCT is to learn by doing, not by reading about things. so there's probably not a lot of directions, at least there isn't in the PCT 2 I have.

still, I like it, and think it's very good for actually learning how to do things. you can read about chess as much as you want, but that won't really make any difference until you actually train the stuff over and over. get those pieces moving, and the stuff will suddenly start making sense.

karsten müller endgame dvds are excellent, but they completely lack that training function PCT has. best would be to use both.

you can't watch the müller dvds with a stand-alone dvd-player, they're not that kind of dvds. you need a computer to use them, but not fritz nor chessbase necessarily. the chessbase reader comes in the dvds, you just install it and watch the material with it. I believe that's the way all chessbase cds & dvds work.
  5. Joined
    07 May '07
    Moves
    17 May '07 14:05
    Wormwood,

You are right about learning by doing. With a lot of things we need to practice hands on. I am sure there have been probably a fair share of players who have gone through books and played too little.

I do see this with real estate investing were people read and go through home study course and never do a deal.

It definately seems we can ingrain a lot just by going through stuff.

Parag
  6. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 15:17
    mine is the ver 2 parag so looks like the new version has some added content. wormwood has answered your other points. good luck with your training.
  7. Joined
    07 May '07
    Moves
    17 May '07 15:44
    Pawnchop,

It seems like Personal Chess Trainer if I take the outlook it wont solve all my chess problems or issues. I know it will be a good training tool to have at my arsenal.

Once I get a DVD ROM or writer in my computer than I might consider Mueller's DVDs.

Parag

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree