72 times!
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Dec '17 07:24
    Originally posted by @ketchuplover
    72 times!
    ...and wins the other 28 😲 after studying chess for a grand total of 4 hours.

May the machines be more merciful than humanity deserves once they assume dominion of the planet.
  3. Joined
    24 Nov '17
    Moves
    09 Dec '17 12:33
    Visit Talkchess Forum to know more, there is where you will find some 3000 programmers.
    This was all a scam.
    Alpha played on 30 times bigger hardware than SF, 4TPUs vs 64 cores.
    4TPUs is around 1000 cores or even more.
    Alpha had simulated opening book, trained on countless top GM winning games.
    SF had very little hash.
    TC was fixed at 1 minute per move, which is again detrimental to SF, which has advanced time management.
    TPUs lack the SMP inefficiencies with more cores, so the hardware advantage was even bigger.
    Etc, etc., so basically, this was just a huge publicity stunt on the part of Google.
    Currently, Alpha is around 2800 on single core, so 400 elos below SF, and will not advanced much in the future, as, from now on, it will need advanced evaluation it will not be able to discover.
    Concerning the 4-hours issue, well, LOL, this was 48 hours ago, so now Alpha is at 5000 elo?
    Come on.
  4. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 23:47
    An interesting analysis of this here:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12/14/deepmind_alphazero_ai_unfair/
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 19:412 edits
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    ...and wins the other 28 😲 after studying chess for a grand total of 4 hours.

May the machines be more merciful than humanity deserves once they assume dominion of the planet.
    You mean after they engineer a human virus that makes us say 90% sterile and the population goes down to a few million over a hundred year period or so? Then the planet takes care of itself? Then they have to figure out how to do the same for cattle since they would also die by the millions without humans around to feed them. But I am sure the super intelligent AI's will know all that in advance so all life forms dependent on humans die out at the same rate. Forests recover, ice recovers, Earth goes back to climate of a couple thousand years ago. Then AI's relax and play chess and go for the rest of eternity.
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 06:22
    OK, I don't follow which engine claims to beat other engines, but are we talking about Stockfish 8 ..It's the free download from, like, a year ago? Is that the one that went against this Alpha-Zero..which I hadn't ever heard of?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree