Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 06 Oct '07 21:09
    Wait, before you answer, let me at least lay the background.

    I was looking at some wooden tournament chess boards on the House of Staunton web site -

    http://www.houseofstaunton.com/board5.html

    I thought that one of these boards might make a good choice for a cheap wooden board that I could take to club tournaments, yet not have to worry too much about minor damage from use. However, the longer I looked at the boards, the more I was sure that something wasn't quite right. Then it hit me - The grain of the wood used for the squares runs horizontally (from the perspective of the player, white on right). So I did a little checking. Sure enough, the default Fritz board that I use on Playchess has the grain running vertically. So do my three real wooden chessboards that I own. Also, a little checking on the web showed that the DGT boards also have the grain running vertically. It seems that the clear majority of boards have the grain oriented vertically. (However, some of the other HOS boards have horizontal grain, such as their Superior Traditional and Custom Contemporary boards.)

    Not knowing whether I'd be able to adjust to the different grain direction, I decided to pass on these boards. Soooo, the question is, am I nuts for noticing this and letting it be a factor? Have any of you ever had this concern?
  2. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    06 Oct '07 21:15
    Your intuition was correct. Subliminal effects are more powerful than are generally recognized. Credit yourself with astute observation. However, now select a roll up plastic board to take to tournaments. Any wooden board will be more weight and trouble than it's worth.
  3. 06 Oct '07 21:22
    Originally posted by coquette
    Your intuition was correct. Subliminal effects are more powerful than are generally recognized. Credit yourself with astute observation. However, now select a roll up plastic board to take to tournaments. Any wooden board will be more weight and trouble than it's worth.
    Yep, you're right about the rollup. I've been using a vinyl rollup board, and it is very convenient. I was just mulling over the possibility of adding a bit more transportation hassle to obtain a nicer board to play on in tournaments.
  4. 06 Oct '07 21:28
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Wait, before you answer, let me at least lay the background.

    I was looking at some wooden tournament chess boards on the House of Staunton web site -

    http://www.houseofstaunton.com/board5.html

    I thought that one of these boards might make a good choice for a cheap wooden board that I could take to club tournaments, yet not have to worry too much ...[text shortened]... am I nuts for noticing this and letting it be a factor? Have any of you ever had this concern?
    Most OTB tournaments in the UK use the roll up vinyl boards, either supplied by the host club or rented by tournament organisers. Unlike the USA we don't have to bring our own boards. I did check my own wooden board after reading your post and see that the grain is horizontal - as it is on RHP's wood tile board...
  5. 06 Oct '07 22:54
    Well I was at a local craft market held in Sedbergh in the lake district. There was a stall selling many hand carved items...including a small oblong table with a chess board carefully carved on it and some hand carved pieces...hours of work. I still regret the moment I told the guy the board was the wrong way round :-(
  6. 07 Oct '07 02:31
    You are not nuts. Something like that would drive me crazy.(er)
  7. 07 Oct '07 03:27
    WHO YOU CALLING A PSYCHO!!!(quote from kingpin)
    no you would never want some chump at a tourney abuse some nice wood pieces,get some plastic for the tourneys,and set the nice one up on your coffee table for your drunk friends to abuse.
  8. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    07 Oct '07 04:26
    so, this is really strange, but i went back and checked my wood board and found that the grain is vertical too . .. . but also, the black square is in the lower right corner!!!!!
  9. 07 Oct '07 04:27
    Originally posted by MRBLUE7752
    WHO YOU CALLING A PSYCHO!!!(quote from kingpin)
    no you would never want some chump at a tourney abuse some nice wood pieces,get some plastic for the tourneys,and set the nice one up on your coffee table for your drunk friends to abuse.
    or we can all become GMs over night, where we can play accurately with our minds...
    no boards necessary.
  10. 07 Oct '07 11:12
    I have a chessboard (made by my brother when he was a teenager) where the grain of the white squares is horizontal and the grain of the black squares is vertical.
  11. 07 Oct '07 11:54
    Originally posted by coquette
    so, this is really strange, but i went back and checked my wood board and found that the grain is vertical too . .. . but also, the black square is in the lower right corner!!!!!
    Playing checkers again, huh? And I thought I was nuts!