1. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '17 23:041 edit
    I received from a complete stranger the entire collection of American chess quarterly magazine valued at between $1000-2000 plus some very rare 1951 Chess World magazines edited by Cecil Purdy former correspondence world champion. He sent them at his own expense all the way from Big Spring Texas! Is that not the most generous thing evah! The former has the famous Fischer article 'Bust to the Kings gambit ', in it and annotated games by William Lombardy and Larry Evans. These are the stuff of legend! He could not think of anyone close to him who would appreciate them so he decided to send them to me instead because of some little chess videos that I made on youtube. I cannot tell you how awesome they are!
  2. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 02:10
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I received from a complete stranger the entire collection of American chess quarterly magazine valued at between $1000-2000 plus some very rare 1951 Chess World magazines edited by Cecil Purdy former correspondence world champion. He sent them at his own expense all the way from Big Spring Texas! Is that not the most generous thing evah! The fo ...[text shortened]... use of some little chess videos that I made on youtube. I cannot tell you how awesome they are!
    nice!
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 03:59
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    nice!
    I thought exactly the same thing!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 09:26
    Thanks guys, yes it was a truly wonderful gesture. The American chess quarterly is becoming rarer and rarer to get a complete set and I don't even know if you can still get the Chess world magazine published by Purdy. The later has the price in shillings and sixpence I think or something crazy like that 1/6 it cost.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 14:05
    Thanks guys, yes it was a truly wonderful gesture. The American chess quarterly is becoming rarer and rarer to get a complete set and I don't even know if you can still get the Chess world magazine published by Purdy. The later has the price in shillings and sixpence I think or something crazy like that 1/6 it cost.
    So the guy must have played chess pretty seriously if he had that large a collection. Did you look up his name in the USCF archive ratings?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 16:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So the guy must have played chess pretty seriously if he had that large a collection. Did you look up his name in the USCF archive ratings?
    He played a long time ago I think, only some rated US chess federation games. I did not look up his profile i did not know that you can.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 16:50
    He played a long time ago I think, only some rated US chess federation games. I did not look up his profile i did not know that you can.
    pm me his name, I can look up USCF archives.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 23:00
    ok
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 23:27
    ok
    Looks like I have to renew USCF membership and they are making it a pain in the assembly.
  10. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 01:43
    Looks like I have to renew USCF membership and they are making it a pain in the assembly.
    I can try. I've got an active membership. But the records I've seen at USCF only go back to around 2001. Is there a way to get older records?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 11:06
    Originally posted by byedidia
    I can try. I've got an active membership. But the records I've seen at USCF only go back to around 2001. Is there a way to get older records?
    Maybe if you ask nice๐Ÿ™‚
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 12:28
    Maybe if you ask nice๐Ÿ™‚
    I actually traced the USCF membership but my generous friend has no recorded games. ๐Ÿ™

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree