1. Joined
    12 Sep '07
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 00:07

this position arose in Game 4064642. I already got some feedback in two other threads I opened on the opening stage and on the middlegame of that game, but here I would like to focus on the endgame.

What do you think of this position? It's white to move. It seems to me that black is slightly better here because white has a weak pawn on c3 and it seems that white's rook will be passive in trying to protect it. On the other hand white can advance his pawns on the kingside and maybe threatens to give himself a protected passed pawn.

Any taker? Possilbe plans for white (is he still playing to win or is he playing for a draw?) and plans for black (for a win, I suppose). We can go over the actual game if there is interest, but for the moment I'd like to know your opinion on this position.

Thanks!

J34
  2. Standard memberc00ushion
    I'll take the Draw
    NewBridge,Ireland
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 02:051 edit
    Originally posted by Joan34
    [fen]1r3k2/R3pp1p/3p2p1/2pP4/4P3/2P4P/5PP1/6K1 w KQkq - 0 1[/fen]

this position arose in Game 4064642. I already got some feedback in two other threads I opened on the opening stage and on the middlegame of that game, but here I would like to focus on the endgame.

What do you think of this position? It's white to move. It seems to me that black i erest, but for the moment I'd like to know your opinion on this position.

Thanks!

J34
    I like this postion very Interesting up to that point, my Idea as white would be to not give up a single pawn because at this point in the game, it will probably cost you the game, so I would move the rook to a3 to protect your c3 pawn from there you might move your rook as black to check the king, or improve your pawn structure, I know by playing so many games that seemed to end up with either 1 pawn behind or ahead, the outcome of a game like this always becomes deadlocked unless a Blunder is made, after you move your king by force, you would probably be putting your kings into play more and just have a King move contest, which I think is a complete waste of time in a Chess Game if it comes down to the point where your kings are the only pieces making move of the moves, it is normally an Obivious Win for one side or a Draw

This game should be Deadlocked to the End
  3. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 12:26
    It looks like a win for black with excellent play otherwise a draw. All the initiative is with Back. The white rook is tied to the defence of the c3 pawn, while the Black rook has greater mobility. The Black King needs to mobilise while the White King will need to defend.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree