1. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 23:112 edits
    What follows is my discovery/study of an offbeat but seemingly very strong move in a gambit opening. It is also a sort of study of opening variations and how they develop, and a look at how a sequence of moves can work tactically because of a common strategic theme (in this case exploiting black's queen).

This came from a Blackmar-Diemer Gambit, and it is white's move.

Here is what led to the position:

Variation 1 : 9.a4! a6 Edit: 1A

Edit: 1B

Variation 2 : 9.a4! Nf6

Variation 3 : 9.a4! Kf8

These variations show what a tricky move 9.a4 is. It's such an odd move that I still don't half believe how well it seems to work.

Imagine if someone took all the openings and came up with fresh approaches like this!
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 11:23
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    What follows is my discovery/study of an offbeat but seemingly very strong move in a gambit opening. It is also a sort of study of opening variations and how they develop, and a look at how a sequence of moves can work tactically because of a common strategic theme (in this case exploiting black's queen).

[fen]r1b1k1nr/ppp2ppp/2nb4/qB1Np ...[text shortened]... agine if someone took all the openings and came up with fresh approaches like this!
    I have been looking for a way to play against the Scandinavian, and this is enticing.

This isn't a post to be read; it is a post to be studied.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 12:1212 edits
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics

[fen]r1b1k1nr/ppp2ppp/2nb4/qB1Np agine if someone took all the openings and came up with fresh approaches like this!
    Excellent post! Lots of tactical goodies, like it. I wonder, in the final position of the last board you posted, could white also try sacrificing the knight, ie.. 14.Bc4 ..cxd5 15.Rxd5 the black queen becoming overloaded defending the check on d8 and the mate attack on f7..? I can only see 15..Qe8 preventing mate, then 16.Re8 wins the Queen, or am i missing something?

Edit: How about a board..i'm too lazy to remove your previous comments so left them in, pick up at move 14..

EDIT2:Actually, i think black might just escape..

While black has escaped mate he's in a horrible bind, perhaps Qd1 here ties up the black Queen to defending d6, i find it hard to believe that black can untangle himself...
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 16:43
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Excellent post! Lots of tactical goodies, like it. I wonder, in the final position of the last board you posted, could white also try sacrificing the knight, ie.. 14.Bc4 ..cxd5 15.Rxd5 the black queen becoming overloaded defending the check on d8 and the mate attack on f7..? I can only see 15..Qe8 preventing mate, then 16.Re8 wins the Queen, or am i miss ...[text shortened]... the black Queen to defending d6, i find it hard to believe that black can untangle himself...
    What about 15...B-d6, blocking queen attack, if rook takes, queen takes rook, still defending the mate threat.

If instead 16 B-b5 double attack on pinned bishop, 16...N-f6 both protects the double attacked bishop but also attacks white's queen.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 16:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What about 15...B-d6, blocking queen attack, if rook takes, queen takes rook, still defending the mate threat.

If instead 16 B-b5 double attack on pinned bishop, 16...N-f6 both protects the double attacked bishop but also attacks white's queen.
    Yes of course! I suppose white wins the e-pawn but it's not an improvement on Pauls original move.. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree