Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 28 Apr '07 01:54
    I am fairly new to CC and wondered if there is any software I can download for free to analyse where I went wrong in games?

    One game in particular Game 3447364 my opponent brought their Queen out on move ten? I have always been told that you should never bring your Queen out this early?

    I have to say it proved very effective as I had no clue how to defend against this attack and subsequently lost the game shortly afterwards.

    Just wondering if I can use some program to help me realise the 'error of my ways'?
  2. 28 Apr '07 02:04
    try here and look under the links section at the free software

    http://chessforblood.blogspot.com/
  3. 28 Apr '07 02:26 / 1 edit
    In addition to the database software mentioned in the Chessforblood link in the previous post, if you just want a nice but straightforward free GUI and engine, the Arena GUI is good. You can stick with the stable Version 1.1 or get adventurous with the newer beta versions. Go to the Arena Downloads area. The Arena 1.1 Setup 1 package comes with the SOS 5.1 engine, which is just fine for analysis.

    http://www.playwitharena.com/

    And if you want to try more engines, there are plenty of free Winboard and UCI engines at various sites. A couple of good sites are -

    http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/index.html

    http://www.superchessengine.com/
  4. 28 Apr '07 03:14
    Originally posted by sangfroid
    I am fairly new to CC and wondered if there is any software I can download for free to analyse where I went wrong in games?

    One game in particular Game 3447364 my opponent brought their Queen out on move ten? I have always been told that you should never bring your Queen out this early?

    I have to say it proved very effective as I had no clue ho ...[text shortened]... rwards.

    Just wondering if I can use some program to help me realise the 'error of my ways'?
    7. Be3 would have put an end to his early Queen attack. Then you would have been able to launch some tempo gaining attacks on the queen.
  5. 28 Apr '07 18:05
    thanks alot for these link. ChessDB looks useful.

    I recall seeing somewhere that it is possible to download up to 100 games from RHP as PGN format but can't recall how - any reminders please?

    And on an almost unrelated topic, when will the games explorer database be updated to include those games after Nov 2006 i.e. mine!
  6. 28 Apr '07 18:13
    Originally posted by tjmarti
    thanks alot for these link. ChessDB looks useful.

    I recall seeing somewhere that it is possible to download up to 100 games from RHP as PGN format but can't recall how - any reminders please?

    And on an almost unrelated topic, when will the games explorer database be updated to include those games after Nov 2006 i.e. mine!
    Goto My Games -> email games

    this page will allow you to go your games emailed to you
  7. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    28 Apr '07 18:24
    Originally posted by sangfroid
    I am fairly new to CC and wondered if there is any software I can download for free to analyse where I went wrong in games?

    One game in particular Game 3447364 my opponent brought their Queen out on move ten? I have always been told that you should never bring your Queen out this early?

    I have to say it proved very effective as I had no clue ho ...[text shortened]... rwards.

    Just wondering if I can use some program to help me realise the 'error of my ways'?
    You don't need software yet.

    What you need is to learn to watch out for undefended pieces. For example, after 4...exd4, Black is threatening to take the pawn on d5. What possible moves defend the d5 pawn?

    When you played 7.Be2, you left a piece unprotected. Which one?
  8. 28 Apr '07 18:44
    Originally posted by sangfroid
    One game in particular Game 3447364 my opponent brought their Queen out on move ten? I have always been told that you should never bring your Queen out this early?
    I think you must have a cool blood to do this.
    Je pense que tu devoir un sang froid à faire ça.
  9. 29 Apr '07 20:35
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    You don't need software yet.

    What you need is to learn to watch out for undefended pieces. For example, after 4...exd4, Black is threatening to take the pawn on d5. What possible moves defend the d5 pawn?

    When you played 7.Be2, you left a piece unprotected. Which one?
    My Knight? I should have protected it with a pawn I guess, and as was said earlier why the hell did I only move my bishop to e2 and not e3?

    Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess,

    But thanks to everyone for all those links, had a quick look, but going back for a more in-depth look now!
  10. 29 Apr '07 20:55
    Use Chessmaster 9000! It really helps.
  11. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    30 Apr '07 04:22
    Originally posted by sangfroid
    My Knight? I should have protected it with a pawn I guess, and as was said earlier why the hell did I only move my bishop to e2 and not e3?

    Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess,

    But thanks to everyone for all those links, had a quick look, but going back for a more in-depth look now!
    Protecting the d-pawn with 5.Nc3?? is obviously bad because it hangs the N. Instead, 5.Qxd4 both takes an enemy pawn and protects your own.

    Software will not help you improve, because, as you pointed out, you can already see your errors in hindsight. What you ought to work on is forming a habit of scanning for unprotected pieces before making your move.
  12. 30 Apr '07 20:15
    Originally posted by sangfroid
    I am fairly new to CC and wondered if there is any software I can download for free to analyse where I went wrong in games?

    One game in particular Game 3447364 my opponent brought their Queen out on move ten? I have always been told that you should never bring your Queen out this early?

    I have to say it proved very effective as I had no clue ho ...[text shortened]... rwards.

    Just wondering if I can use some program to help me realise the 'error of my ways'?
    a chess player becomes a master when he learns when and how to break the "rules" of chess
    someone told me that long ago...
  13. 01 May '07 11:34
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    a chess player becomes a master when he learns when and how to break the "rules" of chess
    someone told me that long ago...
    Deep, I like it
  14. 01 May '07 11:37
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Protecting the d-pawn with 5.Nc3?? is obviously bad because it hangs the N. Instead, 5.Qxd4 both takes an enemy pawn and protects your own.

    Software will not help you improve, because, as you pointed out, you can already see your errors in hindsight. What you ought to work on is forming a habit of scanning for unprotected pieces before making your move.
    The reason I did not make that move was because I have had instilled into me that you do not bring your Queen out within the first ten moves, but again I have now come to realise that you have to play the player and not play the game.