1. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 16:02
    For the first time ever, I'm looking over my defeats, and analysing them properly. Hopefully I will manage to do so after every defeat. I save my games in a database in fritz 13 and am using that and a wooden board to play through my games. Fritz13 allows me to add comments and more importantly diagrams to my analysis and print it out in a tidy format. The only problem is that the diagrams are pig ugly, with letters rather than pictures of pieces. I'm sure it's possible to change that setting, but I can't find instructions on how to do so anywhere. does anyone else know how to do it?
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 17:527 edits
    Anyway, here is my first proper attempt at analysing one of my games. I don't even know if this is the sort of thing I should be producing. So if anyone would like to comment, both on the game, or on the kind of thing I looked at in my analysis, I'd be grateful for the advice.

I am white, My opponent had a 1697 grade. Mine is 1519.
  3. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 17:53
    And if you could work out what's wrong with my PGN, all the better 😠
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 18:021 edit
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    Anyway, here is my first proper attempt at analysing one of my games. I don't even know if this is the sort of thing I should be producing. So if anyone would like to comment, both on the game, or on the kind of thing I looked at in my analysis, I'd be grateful for the advice.

[pgn][Event "Chester and District League, Division 2"]
    [Site "Stamford Gate trouble and had to speed
    up around move 19.} 0-1

[/pgn]
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 18:30
    Black spending 3 moves on ...Qa5-b6xb2 is very risky, as the following short game (between two masters) shows.

6. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 19:04
    Thanks SG, that one post has improved my game already. I often play the centre counter defence, obviously I'm usually on the black side, and I probably would have taken the pawn if offered. It's something interesting I've learnt about one of my favourite openings.
  7. e4
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 21:00
    I was glad SG pointed out the waste of time defending the QNP.
    You must never undevelop any piece in the opening to protect a mere pawn.
    SG showed you a master game. Let an RHP player show you another way.

broomcupboardnemesis - cvrclek RHP 2005

8. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 01:47
    "For the first time ever, I'm looking over my defeats, and analyzing them properly."
    I would get in the habit of analyzing all of your games - including wins. Invariably to win your opponent must have made a mistake. Therefore, one should also analyze one's play if your opponent played correctly. In tournaments I would study all of my day's games before getting sleep - just my routine.
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 07:33
    It's fitting it all in though isn't it 🙂.

I will try, I have a nice win from last week to look at.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 07:404 edits
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    For the first time ever, I'm looking over my defeats, and analysing them properly. Hopefully I will manage to do so after every defeat. I save my games in a database in fritz 13 and am using that and a wooden board to play through my games. Fritz13 allows me to add comments and more importantly diagrams to my analysis and print it out in a tidy format. Th but I can't find instructions on how to do so anywhere. does anyone else know how to do it?
    you know Dewi I think the greatest strides i made was simply by looking through chess games and analysing them, I simply go to chessgames.com and flick through a game until i find an interesting one. Firstly i click through the moves just to get an impression of what happened, then i go through it again, looking for interesting moments or critical points or moves that i don't understand (I never use a chess engine, to me it defeats the purpose) and I try to visualise the tactical sequences or understand why a move was made or look for better moves than the ones which led to disaster. Its really quite fun to be honest and got to be good for me, all the time absorbing all those ideas.

"Chess cannot be taught. Chess can only be learned." - Mikhail Botvinnik
  11. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 12:19
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I was glad SG pointed out the waste of time defending the QNP.
    You must never undevelop any piece in the opening to protect a mere pawn.
    SG showed you a master game. Let an RHP player show you another way.

broomcupboardnemesis - cvrclek RHP 2005

[pgn]
    1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qd8xd5 3. Nb1c3 Qd5a5 4. d4 Ng8f6 5. Bf1c4 c6 6. Bc1d2 Qa5b6 7. Nc3e2 {An aler ...[text shortened]... that 9....Qa4 and the e2 Knight hops back to c3.} 9...Qa3xb4 10. Rb1xb4 {Black resigned.}[/pgn]
    Thanks GP and Robbie. I've added GP's trap to my blitz arsenal, and I'm playing through some games today as you suggested Robbie. Work is quiet 🙁

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree