1. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '12 19:181 edit
    I think i play better without the analysis board, it seems to somehow get in the way of imagining, anyone else feel the same? why should that be the case, anyone know?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Sep '12 19:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I think i play better without the analysis board, it seems to somehow get in the way of imagining, anyone else feel the same? why should that be the case, anyone know?
    Hate to agree with RJH but I find it incredibly useful
    .... maybe I have no imagination!
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '12 20:492 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Hate to agree with RJH but I find it incredibly useful
    .... maybe I have no imagination!
    have you tried to play without it wolfie? i agree that its good for long variations, but for hand to hand fighting, i dunno, it somehow seems to get in the way. It seems to be better just to meditate on a position, without moving any pieces.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Sep '12 02:26
    have you tried to play without it wolfie? i agree that its good for long variations, but for hand to hand fighting, i dunno, it somehow seems to get in the way. It seems to be better just to meditate on a position, without moving any pieces.
    First year I was here never used it, gradually started using it for difficult positions and now use it whenever i have the time.

I do always take a look at the board first - maybe get some vague ideas, then test them on analysis. goodness knows what i would be like OTB. Its probably ruined me! (Haven't played serious OTB for 15 years)
  5. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    25 Sep '12 22:06
    I use it in every game that has progressed past 4-5 moves and sooner if an opponent springs an unusual move or opening. As I come to each game I go to the analysis board, click back two full moves and then move forward, step by step, to the current position. This helps get me back into the flow of that particular game. I use "flip board" and ask myself what I would do with my opponent's position.

Notebook is another useful feature. I keep important notes and reminders (Watch Qxf6!) in the one next to the main board. I also keep a pen and paper notebook with a page for each game I'm playing. There I put future plans, ideas, and more general comments.

I think these 2 tools are working for me, this past week I hit 1750, a high for me for this year.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 07:44
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    I use it in every game that has progressed past 4-5 moves and sooner if an opponent springs an unusual move or opening. As I come to each game I go to the analysis board, click back two full moves and then move forward, step by step, to the current position. This helps get me back into the flow of that particular game. I use "flip board" and ask myself wh ...[text shortened]... nk these 2 tools are working for me, this past week I hit 1750, a high for me for this year.
    well done great moose. There is a direct correlation between the quality of our chess and the time we spend on moves. The habit that i was getting into was simply to go to the analysis board and simply play through variations without taking the time to absorb the position, just trying to see if the resultant positions seemed ok for me, I think its better simply to look at a position and reflect upon it, prior to moving any pieces. I was really wondering whether it had any effect upon our quality of play and it seemed to me that it had, although for the opposite reason that i expected, i like wolfie should conduct an experiment just to see if it has any significant effect. wish ou well and when you are ready to come over from the dark side of the force to IVV, let widget know - regards robbie.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 08:03
    well done great moose. There is a direct correlation between the quality of our chess and the time we spend on moves. The habit that i was getting into was simply to go to the analysis board and simply play through variations without taking the time to absorb the position, just trying to see if the resultant positions seemed ok for me, I think its ...[text shortened]... are ready to come over from the dark side of the force to IVV, let widget know - regards robbie.
    It may have adverse effects on your OTB play because you get lazy by not using your brain to keep track of were you are moving the pieces in your mind.

However, I still think it makes these long RHP games better, because of being able to see your variations in real time and then see the resulting positions on the board before you decide which is the best plan and moves.

But it has not improved my OTB play, because I get tired of thinking half way through the game and just move something.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 09:111 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It may have adverse effects on your OTB play because you get lazy by not using your brain to keep track of were you are moving the pieces in your mind.

However, I still think it makes these long RHP games better, because of being able to see your variations in real time and then see the resulting positions on the board before you decide which is the best ...[text shortened]... my OTB play, because I get tired of thinking half way through the game and just move something.
    this is not wise, its better to focus on one or two forcing variations rather than to try to
    calculate everything, when there may in fact be, nothing to calculate or try to steer the
    game into more positional rather than tactical waters.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree