1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 21:24
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    We might as well do a new thread for each game. (though this thread will be a short one) 🙁

All the anticipation, all the hope, all the expectancy dashed onto the rocks in 16 moves.

Is the Carlsen match plan to draw boringly with White putting the onus
    on Anand to make the match interesting.
    Is Carlsen hoping Anand will over-reach himself as Whi ...[text shortened]... dxc4 10. bxc4 Nb6 11. c5 Nc4 12. Bc1 Nd5 13. Qb3 Na5 14. Qa3 Nc4 15. Qb3 Na5 16. Qa3 Nc4 [/pgn]
    11...Nc4 from Anand seems to set up the draw and looks a bad move? The knight is stuck? then 12...Nd5 is the drawing position. I'd like to set a computer running to see what the best move 13 is for Carlsen, if he can exploit the trapped knight on c4. I doubt a computer would draw that game but not for me to question these geniuses!
  2. e4
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 23:36
    "....but not for me to question these geniuses!"

So who the geniuses on here that can remember the exact position you are on about.

A simple diagram would do.

You cannot expect the geniuses on here to flick back to the game,
    copy it, and paste out a fen. They are far too lazy.
  3. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    14 Nov '13 01:27
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    "....but not for me to question these geniuses!"

So who the geniuses on here that can remember the exact position you are on about.

A simple diagram would do.

You cannot expect the geniuses on here to flick back to the game,
    copy it, and paste out a fen. They are far too lazy.
    The computer agrees with Carlsens 13.Qb3 and ...Na5 but doesn't force a draw. Here's its playout of the game. From move 13 its playing.

After 40 moves its a pawn up for Black, Anand - It shows there are no immediate consequences for him not forcing a draw and playing b6 instead to guard the knight on a5. The computers playing of the mid game is irrelevant but it seems an even position slightly favouring black.

However after 13...Na5, white is forced to draw, maybe Carlsen overlooked that, there's no escape without loosing the knight. Its quite a clever tactic from Anand to draw so quickly with black so I'd say the game is his?

2 min per move to think
  4. e4
    Moves
    14 Nov '13 01:57
    "maybe Carlsen overlooked that"

I doubt that. It's his first WC match. With only 12 games then one win
    will be very important. Infact it may well be the only win.
    He was just getting a taste of atmosphere, no rush, that win will come.
    He is there to win the World Chess Championship he was not in the
    mood to win it that day. (also too early, best to score that one win when
    there are only a few games left.)
  5. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    14 Nov '13 20:196 edits
    This is one variation on why Carlsen can't not draw,

edit 🙂

It looks like he walked into a trap? .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree