1. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 13:47
    Originally posted by FastEddieB
    Thanks for the info on the 3pm start in India.

I'll probably just set one of the world clocks on my phone to Chennai time to keep it simple.

I'm hoping for some fireworks!
    Chinese fireworks may be in store when Wei Yi battles for the title
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 14:061 edit
    "The desk will answer any queries about the event, and will also offer guests tips on sight-seeing in Chennai, and related tourist inquiries. "

I've been to Chennei, nothing to see, nothing to do.

http://www.worldchesschampionship2013.com/2013/11/carlsen-vs-anand-more-updates-on-hotel.html
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 14:57
    Does anyone know who is on the respective teams chess wise or is it a well kept secret?
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 15:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    29 classical chess games have been played between Carlsen and Anand and of which 20 are draws, 3 wins for Carlsen while 6 games Anand has won. Carlsen has never won a classical game against Anand with Black pieces 😲

Vishy Interview

http://ask.indiavoice.info/Tusker/fwcm-2013-preview-201311061662/
    On head-to-head stats Anand actually leads 6-3 in Classical Games with 20 draws, but in the most recent 14 duels, Carlsen has drawn 11 and won 3, the most recent being at the Tal Memorial in June.

http://www.pinnaclesports.com/online-betting-articles/10-2013/world-chess-championship-betting.aspx
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 16:38
    Originally posted by Trev33
    On head-to-head stats Anand actually leads 6-3 in Classical Games with 20 draws, but in the most recent 14 duels, Carlsen has drawn 11 and won 3, the most recent being at the Tal Memorial in June.

http://www.pinnaclesports.com/online-betting-articles/10-2013/world-chess-championship-betting.aspx
    The main question to answer is the stamina of Anand. Carlsen being half his age, that is surely going to be an issue for long games and the long haul, like the second half of the match.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 16:44

We should ask ourselves what are statistics in match play? Fischer had never beaten Spassky prior to 1972. While it would really be awesome to see the Chess crown come to the frozen North, I have offered up incense for Vishy, Shiva the destroyer is on her way!
  7. e4
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 16:521 edit
    Those recent results are the ones that matter.

If it had been played outside of India I would be heavily tipping Carlsen
    fearing Anand may not be too motivated and less hungry.
    He has been there, he has defended his title successfully in the past,
    he has nothing to prove and that may have gone against him.

But on home turf with the whole Indian nation following every move
    he will be playing his heart out.

Just hope we get a feast of different openings and not the usual handful
    of the same old same old.

I think I'm right in saying that the '72 match had the most variety regarding openings.
    Sicilians, (including the Najdorf, Paulsen, Sozin and Richter Rauser variations),
    Lopez's (including an exchange variation), Nimzo-indians, Queens Gambits, a Benoni,
    Enlgish (Fischer's 1 c4!) Pirc and an Alekhine (plus one default.).
    Quite a lot for a 21 game match.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 17:29
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Those recent results are the ones that matter.

If it had been played outside of India I would be heavily tipping Carlsen
    fearing Anand may not be too motivated and less hungry.
    He has been there, he has defended his title successfully in the past,
    he has nothing to prove and that may have gone against him.

But on home turf with the whole Indian ...[text shortened]... sh (Fischer's 1 c4!) Pirc and an Alekhine (plus one default.).
    Quite a lot for a 21 game match.
    Anand commented that Carlsen doesn't really play opening like his predecessors, I don't understand what he meant though, he said something that the marked differences between, opening, middle game and end game are a lot more smudged now, whatever that means.
  9. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 18:501 edit
    Here's Kasparov's take on the situation. Good read, but he's certainly not shy to make is about Garry Kasparov as much as possible.

http://www.businessinsider.com/garry-kasparov-previews-the-anand-carlsen-match-2013-11
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 20:13
    Originally posted by SmittyTime
    Here's Kasparov's take on the situation. Good read, but he's certainly not shy to make is about Garry Kasparov as much as possible.

http://www.businessinsider.com/garry-kasparov-previews-the-anand-carlsen-match-2013-11
    three reasons why Anand will win

http://www.chess.com/news/3-reasons-why-viswanathan-anand-will-defend-his-title-1819

GM Parimarjan Negi
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 06:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The main question to answer is the stamina of Anand. Carlsen being half his age, that is surely going to be an issue for long games and the long haul, like the second half of the match.
    Anand is what, 41? Hardy old, had a laugh at one of the link i posted saying player normally peek in their late 30s, if true then Anand is closer to his peek than Carlsen. Though Can Carlsen get much better?

I think concentration is going to be key, i have no doubts about Anand but can Carlsen play so many games with such long time controls in a short space of time without losing a bit of concentration... he is just 22. Remember being 22?

My money is on Anand pulling off a shock win.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 10:461 edit
    Anand is what, 41? Hardy old, had a laugh at one of the link i posted saying player normally peek in their late 30s, if true then Anand is closer to his peek than Carlsen. Though Can Carlsen get much better?

I think concentration is going to be key, i have no doubts about Anand but can Carlsen play so many games with such long time controls in a short spac ...[text shortened]... entration... he is just 22. Remember being 22?

My money is on Anand pulling off a shock win.
    The opening ceremony is a thoroughly Indian affair with all that crappy etiquette stuff done for the sake of so called dignitaries, Magnus looks thoroughly bored, and rightly so, its run of the mill for Vishy, lets hope Aishwarya Rai and her sisters pop in and do some traditional dancing in Gagra choli's for India has some of the truly worst public speakers evah! and some of the greatest dancers.
  13. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 11:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The opening ceremony is a thoroughly Indian affair with all that crappy etiquette stuff done for the sake of so called dignitaries, Magnus looks thoroughly bored, and rightly so, its run of the mill for Vishy, lets hope Aishwarya Rai and her sisters pop in and do some traditional dancing in Gagra choli's for India has some of the truly worst public speakers evah! and some of the greatest dancers.
    I'm watching the chessboard dance right now, it's quite fun 🙂
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 12:14
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    I'm watching the chessboard dance right now, it's quite fun 🙂
    some crazy manic Sitar playing
  15. e4
    Moves
    07 Nov '13 14:32
    "Anand is what, 41?"

...he will celebrate his 44th birthday on the 11th December - hopefully
    the match will still be on then and there has not been a white wash.

Magnus was born on the 30th November 1990 so he will be 23.

There will be dual birthday parties in both camps during the match.

Like Trev I would not be surprised by an Anand win though Carlsen
    appears to be the favourite.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree