Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    14 Jun '06 04:42
    I have:

    -5334 checkmates and combinations

    - John Ems' 1000 puzzle book

    anything out there for endgame puzzles?
  2. 14 Jun '06 16:29
    These are my three favorites:

    A.A. Troitski "360 Endings"
    G. Kasparyan, "Domination in 2,545 Endings"
    A.J. Roycroft, "The Chess Endgame Study"
  3. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    14 Jun '06 16:31
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    I have:

    -5334 checkmates and combinations

    - John Ems' 1000 puzzle book

    anything out there for endgame puzzles?
    Chess Endings by Polgar has 4650 positions grouped by 171 themes
  4. 14 Jun '06 16:52
    A new one just got published - Van Perlo's - by New In Chess. I think the reviews have been quite good.
  5. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    14 Jun '06 20:23
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    These are my three favorites:

    A.A. Troitski "360 Endings"
    A.J. Roycroft, "The Chess Endgame Study"
    Where did you find these books?
  6. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    14 Jun '06 20:31
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Chess Endings by Polgar has 4650 positions grouped by 171 themes
    I cant find this one either, I love polgars 5334 puzzles, where did you find it?
  7. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    15 Jun '06 05:00
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    I cant find this one either, I love polgars 5334 puzzles, where did you find it?
    I bought it from the US Chess Federation several years ago.

    Try http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=Polgar&y=19&tn=Chess+Endgames&x=50&sortby=2
  8. Standard member Redmike
    Godless Commie
    15 Jun '06 10:26
    Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual, which is a very good book in its own right, has puzzles at the end of each section.

    It also has entertaining examples of how endgames have been misplayed.
  9. 15 Jun '06 13:42
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Where did you find these books?
    They're both published by Dover in the United States, however, both may be out of print by now, but sometimes they turn up on eBay.

    The Troitski book was truncated from a German edition of 500 problems. Later, the English translation included a special section on the theory of two knights vs. a pawn. The Dover edition does not include this section. Capablanca said there was great value to be had from the study of Troitski's book.

    The Roycroft book was previously published in hardback/descriptive notation as, "Test-Tube Chess."

    Other desirable Dover books on endgame studies and tactics are: “Tactics of the Endgame,” by Jeno Ban and “1,234 Modern Endgame Studies,” by Sutherland.
  10. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    15 Jun '06 15:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual, which is a very good book in its own right, has puzzles at the end of each section.

    It also has entertaining examples of how endgames have been misplayed.
    Thats a good book Ive heard, you think someone of a 1500-1600 is ready for such an advanced text?
  11. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    15 Jun '06 15:50
    thanks for the book recommendations der schwarze ritter I'll keep my eyes open for them on ebay
  12. Standard member Redmike
    Godless Commie
    15 Jun '06 20:51
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Thats a good book Ive heard, you think someone of a 1500-1600 is ready for such an advanced text?
    Yes, I'd say so. Some of the examples are advanced, and difficult to follow.
    The ideas are put across very clearly, and there is the very helpful idea of emphasing the key ideas in a different colour.