1. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 11:42
    Hi,

Are there any tactics book set-up in a similar way to Polgar's Chess book?

I'm looking for a book that gives lots of problems by category: as in one move pin, two move pin, three move pin etc one move fork, two move fork etc etc.

Thanks in advance, JR.
  2. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 12:52
    I have a few very old books with mate puzzles.

700 chess problems by Mrs. W.J.Baird (1902)
    mate puzzles,2-3-4-5 moves and then self-mates 2-3-4-5-6 moves

Canadian chess problems by C.F.Stubbs (1890)
    mate puzzles,2-3-4-5-6 moves

75 chess problems by John Thursby (1883)
    All mates in 2,3 or 4 and 4 suicide mates at the end

200 chess problems by Frank Healey (1866)
    more mate problems,2-3-4-5 moves

All are available as ebooks,free of charge

I don't know of any more recent ones nor ones with various tactical themes arranged by number of moves.
    I do have a Reinfeld book with tactics arranged by themes,but not by number of moves.

toet.
  3. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 13:46
    John Nunn's "Learn Chess Tactics" doesn't specify the number of moves, but it does discuss each tactic category briefly before introducing several puzzles of increasing difficulty on that theme. Studying this book alone probably added at least 50 points to my RHP rating and helped me win the last chess tournament at work. It's an excellent book.
  4. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 14:02
    Thanks for the replys, I wanted something to help with pattern recogition, I'll check out the nunn book.

Cheers.
  5. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 15:23
    Originally posted by jonrothwell
    Thanks for the replys, I wanted something to help with pattern recogition, I'll check out the nunn book.

Cheers.
    If you like it, write John Nunn and tell him that PBE6 is a fan but doesn't shill for free. See if you can get him to pay my subscription fee for next year! 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree